Attempting to graph momentum help!

by Owatch
Tags: graph, linear slope, mechanics, momentum
Owatch
Mar21-13, 11:03 AM
P: 7
What I am trying to do right now is graph momentum as a linear slope on a graph.
What I know is:

p = mv

Now, I've collected data giving me the velocity of the object, and I also have the mass. Now All I am trying to do is figure out a way to graph this.

I've tried 1/p= 1/(mv) but of course all I get is a horizontal line for a slope at 1.

What I need to do is somehow make one of these variables proportional to each other in order for me to be able to derive momentum from the graph, even having the area under the graph being = to momentum would be fine.

I'm pretty stumped. I can't think of anyway I can get a proper graph that would show me momentum. At least one with a slope.

Can anybody help me out here?

I have: velocity, time, displacement, and mass as data for this.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Mapping the road to quantum gravity
Chameleon crystals could enable active camouflage (w/ video)
Doc Al
Mar21-13, 11:10 AM
Mentor
P: 40,905
It's not clear what you intend to show with your graph. The momentum is given by mv, so if you have the velocity you have the momentum.

What exactly did you measure?
Owatch
Mar21-13, 11:18 AM
@DocAl

I intend to show P in the graph as the gradient of the slope, or line. I know I have momentum already, I just have to represent it in a graph. Where the gradient will be P, the thing is, I can't exactly find any possible way to do it.

I measured the time it took for a trolley to cross a certain distance after being propelled with the same amount of force. (I took 5 trials). As well as the time it took for the trolley it collided into to travel the rest of the track distance.

Because I know the mass's of both trolleys, and the force propelling the first is always constant. I can derive V from S/t and then use p = mv to get momentum.

So I measured the time it took for the trolley and the one it hit to cover a set distance. As well as the mass's of both trolleys, which were identical.

I repeated this in 7 different intervals. Where I added more mass to each trolley. And did the same 5 time trials.

Owatch
Mar21-13, 11:27 AM

Attempting to graph momentum help!

Forgot to use the reply button, reply is above ^

Register to reply