Inverted Pendulum on Cart: What is this term in the KE?

In summary, the conversation discusses the kinetic energy of an inverted pendulum on a cart with two degrees of freedom, x and theta. The kinetic energy can be written in two different forms - vector form and using kinetic energy equations for translation and rotation. However, there seems to be a discrepancy in the latter form, as it does not include a term from the vector form which represents the velocity components of the pendulum mass in the y direction. The conversation then delves into finding the correct expression for the kinetic energy of a rigid body rotating about a moving axis, and the importance of using methodical approaches to avoid getting lost in the calculations.
jstluise
I am working through an example of an inverted pendulum on a cart, exactly like this:
1-s2.0-S0005109811004079-gr1.jpg

L is the length of the massless pendulum arm.

Two degrees of freedom, x and theta. If I write out the kinetic energy as three parts: translational KE from cart + translational KE from pendulum + rotational KE from pendulum, I end up missing a term (compared to writing out the KE in vector form with each mass).

In vector form:

[itex]T = \frac{1}{2}M\dot{r_{1}}\cdot\dot{r_{1}} + \frac{1}{2}m\dot{r_{2}}\cdot\dot{r_{2}}[/itex]
[itex]T = \frac{1}{2}M\dot{x}^{2} + \frac{1}{2}m(\dot{x}^{2}+{l^2}{\dot{\theta}^2}+2l\dot{x}\dot{\theta}cos{\theta})[/itex]

I know above is correct, but I don't know what the term [itex]ml\dot{x}\dot{\theta}cos{\theta}[/itex] represents.

If I write the KE using the other method, I get

[itex]T = \frac{1}{2}M\dot{x}^{2} + \frac{1}{2}m\dot{x}^{2}+\frac{1}{2}m{l^2}{\dot{\theta}^2}[/itex]

where each term represents translational KE from cart, translational KE from pendulum, and rotational KE from pendulum, respectively. I am missing the term from the KE that was obtained using vectors.

I think I'm missing the velocity component of the pendulum mass in the y direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
The horizontal component of the velocity of ##m## is ##\dot x + l \cos\theta\, \dot \theta##
And the vertical component (downwards) is is ##l \sin\theta\, \dot \theta##.

So the resultant velocity squared is ##(\dot x + l \cos\theta\, \dot \theta)^2 + (l \sin\theta\, \dot \theta)^2##

The last expression for ##T## is wromg, because it is the KE of the cart measured relative to the ground, plus the KE of the pendulum measured relative to the cart. You can't work in two different coordinate frames at the same time.

AlephZero said:
The horizontal component of the velocity of ##m## is ##\dot x + l \cos\theta\, \dot \theta##

So the resultant velocity squared is ##(\dot x + l \cos\theta\, \dot \theta)^2 + (l \sin\theta\, \dot \theta)^2##

The last expression for ##T## is wromg, because it is the KE of the cart measured relative to the ground, plus the KE of the pendulum measured relative to the cart. You can't work in two different coordinate frames at the same time.

Thanks, makes sense.

So is there any equation that is used for finding ##T## of a rigid body that is rotating about a arbitrary, moving axis? For example, pretend the inverted pendulum is not a point mass on the end of a massless rod, but rather a rod of mass ##m## and length ##l##. The axis of rotation of the rod is at the cart, and the center of mass in in the center of the bar.

If the axis of rotation was fixed, I could use the parallel axis theorem and find ##T## due to the rotation only. But, since the axis is moving, I have translational energy, too.

I think the long and short of it is that when working with any translation and rotating rigid body, it is best to only work its center of mass. And only in the special case of having a fixed axis can you use the parallel axis theorem. Does that sound correct?

If you are using some generalized coordinates to describe the motion of the complete system, then you can use them to describe the translation and rotation of the CM of some part of the system.

So there isn't really any need to use the parallel axis theorem, etc.

IMO the best way to learn these topics is to learn to be methodical. Eventually you will start to recognize combinations of variables that you have seen before and just "write down the answer", but taking short cuts doesn't save time if you get lost along the way.

AlephZero said:

The last expression for ##T## is wrong, because it is the KE of the cart measured relative to the ground, plus the KE of the pendulum measured relative to the cart. You can't work in two different coordinate frames at the same time.

That does not make sense to me. The KE of the pendulum is measured relative to the ground because ##\dot x + l \cos\theta\, \dot \theta## ... ##\dot x## express movement relative to the ground. (Plus the rotation relative to the cart).. Please shed some light..

Last edited:

1. What is an inverted pendulum on cart?

An inverted pendulum on cart is a dynamic system consisting of a pendulum attached to a cart that can move along a horizontal track. The pendulum is mounted upside down, with the center of mass above the pivot point, making it an unstable system that requires continuous control to maintain its upright position.

2. What is the significance of the inverted pendulum on cart?

The inverted pendulum on cart is a classic problem in control theory and robotics. It is used as a benchmark to test and develop control algorithms and strategies for stabilizing unstable systems. It also has practical applications in areas such as self-balancing vehicles and robotics.

3. How does the concept of kinetic energy apply to the inverted pendulum on cart?

The concept of kinetic energy (KE) is essential to understanding the dynamics of the inverted pendulum on cart. The cart's motion and the pendulum's movement are governed by KE, which is the energy of motion. The cart's KE is directly proportional to its mass and velocity, while the pendulum's KE is dependent on its mass, length, and angular velocity.

4. What are the main challenges in controlling the inverted pendulum on cart?

The main challenges in controlling the inverted pendulum on cart are its inherent instability and nonlinearity. The system is highly sensitive to small disturbances, making it difficult to maintain its upright position. Additionally, the equations describing its motion are nonlinear, making it challenging to design control strategies that can stabilize the system.

5. How can we stabilize an inverted pendulum on cart?

To stabilize an inverted pendulum on cart, we need to apply control inputs to the cart's motion, such as changing its velocity or position. These inputs affect the pendulum's motion and allow us to keep it upright. Various control strategies, such as PID control, state feedback, and LQR, can be used to stabilize the system and maintain its equilibrium position.