A Curious Question about LCD Display

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of chromatic aberration on LCD screens when a hair strand clings to the screen. This can be caused by mechanical pressure from removing the hair, which distorts the liquid crystal matrix and causes a rainbow effect. The conversation also mentions the possibility of the hair blocking certain pixels, resulting in a color fringe. The conversation concludes by explaining the differences between additive and subtractive colors and how they relate to this phenomenon.
Akshay_Anti
Hello,

I have observed that if by chance a hair strand manages to cling to LCD Screen like TV or laptop screen, a small region near the hairline shows chromatic abberation. Is it due to some diffraction or Interference? Please explain..

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Would that happen to be noticeable only when you remove the hair? Since Lucy sheds so much, my screen is constantly plastered with cat hair. It doesn't cause any distortion. Mechanical pressure from my fingers, however, while removing that hair does induce a sort of "rainbow" effect. I always figured that it was just a matter of distorting the crystal matrix, but I'm not sure. I try to avoid it for fear of damaging the display.

Danger said:
Mechanical pressure from my fingers, however, while removing that hair does induce a sort of "rainbow" effect. I always figured that it was just a matter of distorting the crystal matrix, but I'm not sure. I try to avoid it for fear of damaging the display.

The material in a liquid crystal display is (doh!) a liquid. If you distort the display to make it flow, the liquid carries the "image" with it for a short time.

It's easier to see what is happening with a simple calculator that has a 7-segment type of LCD display, rather than a display with small dots. And if you break a $5 calculator, you haven't lost much.

I don't know about the OP's question. Maybe the hair is about the same width as the individual dots on the display, so it is selectively covering up the red green and blue dots forming the image?

AlephZero said:
The material in a liquid crystal display is (doh!) a liquid. If you distort the display to make it flow, the liquid carries the "image" with it for a short time.

True that. The LCD screen is made up of pixels and contains fluid crystal matrix filled in it. Application of mechanical pressure to the screen tends to displace the pixels from that area and also causes color providing matrix to drift away. Press it too hard or for long time and then you'll find that that portion is locally damaged. But that doesn't answer my question exactly.

Last edited:
AlephZero said:
The material in a liquid crystal display is (doh!) a liquid.

No ****?! I never would have guessed. :grumpy:
I meant that I'm worried about damaging the addressing components, not the liquid.

The pixels can be quite small, so you can get a hair significantly blocking some pixels. Each pixel is either red, green or blue. Blocking a green pixel will result in a magenta 'fringe' at the side of the hair. Often, depending on orientation, you will see a cycling of colour 'fringing' along the length of the hair.

pumila said:
The pixels can be quite small, so you can get a hair significantly blocking some pixels. Each pixel is either red, green or blue. Blocking a green pixel will result in a magenta 'fringe' at the side of the hair. Often, depending on orientation, you will see a cycling of colour 'fringing' along the length of the hair.

That could be possible. But one question- suppose the green pixel is blocked, why would I see magenta color, shouldn't i see a mix of red and blue- purple?

Magenta is mix of blue and red light; add green and you get white. Purple is mix of blue and red pigments; add yellow and you get a muddy dark colour. First is additive colours, second is pigment (subtractive) colours. Red green and blue are additive primary colours, red yellow and blue are subtractive primary colours.

I suspect (as mentioned above) that it's not a diffraction, interference, or LCD-specific effect, but rather simply due to the arrangement of pixels on a modern color display. The hair edge is probably only partially blocking some pixels, causing visible color fringing. The easiest way to visualize this is probably by imagining a pure white screen. If you look closely, it'll be made up of red, green, and blue subpixels. If the edge of the hair is blocking the red and green subpixel, but the blue is left uncovered, you'll get a blue fringe around the object. This can even be seen with something as simple as a piece of paper - the blocking object doesn't need to be small, it merely needs to have a fairly sharp edge (so as to be able to block individual subpixels).

1. What is an LCD display?

An LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) display is a type of flat-panel display commonly used in electronic devices such as televisions, computer monitors, and mobile phones. It uses liquid crystals to create images that are visible to the human eye.

2. How does an LCD display work?

An LCD display works by manipulating the light passing through liquid crystals. The liquid crystals are sandwiched between two layers of polarized glass and an electrical current is applied to change the orientation of the crystals, allowing light to pass through or be blocked, creating images.

3. What are the advantages of using an LCD display?

There are several advantages of using an LCD display. They are thin and lightweight, energy-efficient, have a wide viewing angle, and produce high-quality images with vibrant colors. They are also less prone to screen burn-in and have a longer lifespan compared to other display types.

4. What are the limitations of an LCD display?

One limitation of an LCD display is that it requires a backlight to function, which can lead to higher power consumption. They also have a slower response time compared to other display types, which can result in motion blur. Additionally, LCD displays can be affected by temperature and may have limited viewing angles in certain lighting conditions.

5. How can I improve the image quality of an LCD display?

To improve the image quality of an LCD display, you can adjust the contrast and brightness settings. You can also calibrate the display to ensure accurate color representation. Additionally, keeping the display clean and free of dust can also help improve image quality.