Are There More Efficient Ways to Store Hydrogen for Fuel Cells?

In summary, the conversation discusses an experimental idea for storing hydrogen efficiently for use in fuel cells. The idea involves using cooling and pressure to turn the hydrogen into a liquid form, but the energy consumption of such a device would outweigh its production. The participants of the conversation ask for feedback and suggest an alternative method involving feather fibers.
air_moose
I've been toying around with an experimental idea for an efficient way to store hydrogen for use in hydrogen fuel cells, but recently I haven't been able to think of much more to add to it.

I've thought of using cooling and pressure together to put the hydrogen to a liquid form for more compact storage, but the energy use of such a device would outweigh the production.

If any of you have better ways of dealing with this idea, please post feedback. It would be appreciated :smile:

**If I've put this thread in the wrong category please tell me. Thank you.

Chemistry news on Phys.org

What is experimental hydrogen?

Experimental hydrogen refers to the process of conducting scientific experiments and research to study the properties and potential uses of hydrogen as an energy source. This involves testing various methods of producing, storing, and utilizing hydrogen in different applications.

Why is hydrogen being studied as an energy source?

Hydrogen is considered a promising alternative energy source due to its high energy density, abundance, and clean combustion. It has the potential to reduce carbon emissions and dependence on fossil fuels, making it a key focus for researchers and scientists.

What are some experimental methods for producing hydrogen?

Some experimental methods for producing hydrogen include electrolysis, thermochemical processes, and biological processes. These methods involve using renewable or non-renewable resources to split water molecules and extract hydrogen gas.

What are the challenges associated with using hydrogen as an energy source?

One of the main challenges is the high cost of producing and storing hydrogen. Additionally, there are safety concerns related to the flammability and explosiveness of hydrogen gas. Another challenge is the lack of infrastructure for widespread distribution and use of hydrogen as a fuel.

What are some potential applications for experimental hydrogen?

Some potential applications for experimental hydrogen include fuel cells for powering vehicles, homes, and other devices; hydrogen gas as a replacement for traditional fossil fuels in industrial processes; and hydrogen as a storage medium for renewable energy sources.