Light Speed: Can Einstein's Theory Explain It?

In summary, the speed of light has been measured to be approximately 3*10^8 m/s and is a fundamental constant in physics. This speed is a result of Maxwell's equations and has been proven by both Maxwell and Einstein in their theories. Light travels at this speed due to its zero mass and is not affected by external forces like other particles. The behavior of light can be better understood through a classical model of it as an electromagnetic wave.
rshreyas
all objects travel at a speed .when we come to light , the speed is approximately 3 * 108 . i am confused about how can it travel with such a speed . i have surfed in the internet but it only says that it is not yet proved . i wish to know the answer . this could help me to study optics more perfectly . did Einstein prove in the theory of relativity.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
The speed of light has been measured numerous times and the speed measured is approx. 3*10^8 m/s. The speed of light in a vacuum is a fundamental constant in physics. The rest of your ramble makes no sense.

SteamKing said:
The speed of light has been measured numerous times and the speed measured is approx. 3*10^8 m/s. The speed of light in a vacuum is a fundamental constant in physics. The rest of your ramble makes no sense.

i agree to it .but, there should be a reason for light to travel in such a speed . you just gave me a reason which i know.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was Maxwell who demonstrated that EM waves travel at the speed of light, which can be expressed as a combination of other fundamental constants associated with electromagnetism (Einstein demonstrated that the speed of light is a universal speed limit).

We know the value of these fundamental constants from observation - by determining the force between two charges etc.

Claude.

Edit: beaten by Dale!

rshreyas said:
all objects travel at a speed .
This is not true- at least not in the since that you mean when talking about light. A specific automobile, at a specific time, is traveling "at a speed". Different automobiles, or that same automobile at different times, may travel at different speeds. But all light, at all times, in vacuum, travels at "c".

when we come to light , the speed is approximately 3 * 108 . i am confused about how can it travel with such a speed . i have surfed in the internet but it only says that it is not yet proved . i wish to know the answer . this could help me to study optics more perfectly . did Einstein prove in the theory of relativity.

I confused about what you're confused about. What is the question? Light travels at a certain speed. That speed has been measured to be about 3 * 10^8 m/s. What don't you understand?

From the FAQ section of our relativity forum:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=511385

Last edited by a moderator:
quawa99 said:
This is just an intutive idea:you know light is produced from various sources like light bulbs, candles etc. Basically light is produced due to de-exitation of the electrons in the material i.e the heated filament in a bulb loses that heat energy in the from of light.Now light consists of particles called photons which have a zero mass so even if we give very little energy to it light can go very fast.imagine you hit a bowling ball with a bat and a cricket ball with the same force ,you can notice that the cricket ball will go very fast in a similar way light has zero mass so if u hit a photon with the same force it will go superfast .(This is not a perfect answer and I know it may not be correct to say to hit a photon with a bat but like i said i just wanted to give an intutive idea)

Subatomic particles in general and photons in particular do not behave like cricket balls or bowling balls; the word "particle" in in this context means something very different from the standard non-technical usage.

If you want to understand the behavior of light, your best bet may be to try to forget that you ever heard the word "photon", and work your way through the classical model of light as an electromagnetic wave instead. You can go back to thinking about photons when you're ready to move beyond classical physics and take on quantum mechanics.

quawa99 said:
This is just an intutive idea:you know light is produced from various sources like light bulbs, candles etc. Basically light is produced due to de-exitation of the electrons in the material i.e the heated filament in a bulb loses that heat energy in the from of light.Now light consists of particles called photons which have a zero mass so even if we give very little energy to it light can go very fast.imagine you hit a bowling ball with a bat and a cricket ball with the same force ,you can notice that the cricket ball will go very fast in a similar way light has zero mass so if u hit a photon with the same force it will go superfast .(This is not a perfect answer and I know it may not be correct to say to hit a photon with a bat but like i said i just wanted to give an intutive idea)

There is something misleading here. It gives the impression the ALL light is produced by some "de excitation of electrons" which is incorrect. I can take a bunch of electrons, and jiggle it up and down, and voila! I have light! This crude description is how we get the EM radiation from synchrotron light sources, and how we generate radio waves and microwaves.

And the analogy with hitting a ball is very puzzling. This is because it requires the bat to impart energy and momentum (speed) to the object. This is not true with light since the photons are born at c.

Zz.

1. What is the theory of light speed according to Einstein?

The theory of light speed, also known as special relativity, is a fundamental principle in physics proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905. It states that the speed of light in a vacuum is constant and independent of the observer's frame of reference.

2. How fast is the speed of light?

The speed of light in a vacuum is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second or about 670,616,629 miles per hour. This is the maximum speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel.

3. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of special relativity, it is impossible for any object with mass to reach or exceed the speed of light. This is because as an object's speed increases, its mass also increases, making it more and more difficult to accelerate further. However, some theories suggest that certain particles, such as neutrinos, may be able to travel faster than light, but this has not been conclusively proven.

4. How does the theory of light speed explain the behavior of light?

Einstein's theory of special relativity explains that the speed of light is constant for all observers, regardless of their frame of reference. This means that no matter how fast an observer is moving, they will always measure the speed of light to be the same. Additionally, the theory also explains phenomena such as time dilation and length contraction, which are observed when objects are moving at extremely high speeds.

5. Has Einstein's theory of light speed been proven?

Many experiments and observations have been conducted over the years to test the predictions of Einstein's theory of special relativity, and so far, it has been consistently supported by evidence. However, like all scientific theories, it is always subject to further testing and refinement as our understanding of the universe evolves.