Choosing an external usb CD/DVD R/W drive.

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drive Usb
In summary, a user is looking for an external USB CD/DVD R/W drive for their laptop and wants to know how to determine if it can R/W both DVD and CD. They provide a link to an Amazon search and ask for a recommendation for a drive that is compatible with Windows XP, 7, and 8. The expert provides a summary stating that the Amazon product-detail page for the first hit in the search results includes information on the drive's capabilities. The user then thanks the expert and shares that they have already ordered a drive and hopes it will work.
yungman
Hi
I am looking for an external USB CD/DVD R/W drive for my laptop as it does not come with one. I look on Amazon and they only say DVD drive. How do I know whether it can R/W both DVD and CD? Here is the link for Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_7?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=usb%20dvd%20drive&sprefix=usb+dvd%2Caps%2C401&tag=pfamazon01-20.

Please give me a suggestion which one to buy from the list. I don't need the best or what, I just need one that work with Windows XP, 7 and 8.

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
yungman said:
How do I know whether it can R/W both DVD and CD?

The Amazon product-detail page for the first hit in your search results:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DBV28TG/?tag=pfamazon01-20

includes the information:

WRITE: 8X DVD+/-R; 6X DVD+/-R DL; 8X DVD+RW; 6X DVD-RW; 5X DVD-RAM; 24X CD-R/CD-RW
READ: 8X DVD+/-R; 8X DVD+/-R DL; 8X DVD+RW/-RW; 8X DVD+/-RW; 8X DVD-ROM;5X DVD-RAM; 24X CD-R/CD-RW/CD-ROM

(I added the boldface.)

1. What factors should I consider when choosing an external usb CD/DVD R/W drive?

When choosing an external usb CD/DVD R/W drive, you should consider the compatibility with your device, the read and write speed, the size and design, the brand and warranty, and the price.

2. How do I know if the external usb CD/DVD R/W drive is compatible with my device?

You can check the specifications of your device and compare it with the specifications of the external usb CD/DVD R/W drive. Make sure that your device has a USB port and supports the type of disc (CD or DVD) that you want to use.

3. What is the difference between read and write speed for an external usb CD/DVD R/W drive?

The read speed refers to how quickly the drive can retrieve information from a disc, while the write speed refers to how quickly it can save information onto a disc. If you plan on using the drive for burning discs, a higher write speed is recommended.

4. Do I need a specific type of software to use an external usb CD/DVD R/W drive?

Most external usb CD/DVD R/W drives come with their own software for burning discs, but you can also use third-party software such as Nero or Roxio. Make sure to check the compatibility of the software with your device before purchasing.

5. Are there any additional features that I should look for in an external usb CD/DVD R/W drive?

Some external usb CD/DVD R/W drives come with additional features such as Lightscribe, which allows you to burn labels directly onto the disc, or M-DISC compatibility for long-term data storage. Consider your needs and preferences when looking for additional features.