Equating Heat and Einstein's equation confusion

In summary, The speaker is embarrassed to ask a seemingly silly question about equating the mass-energy formula with the temperature dependence of heat. They were trying to calculate the mass gained by heating a cup of water, but realized that the masses do not cancel because they are two different masses - the mass equivalent of energy on the left and the rest mass of water on the right. The correct equation is Δm * c^2 = m * cm * ΔT.
pjbeierle
I should start by saying that I am a bit embarissed by asking such a silly question
By simply equating the mass-energy formula with the temperature dependence of heat...

M*c2 = M* cm *ΔT

it strikes me as odd that the mass cancels,

c2 = cm *ΔT

I was doing this in order to calculate how much mass is gained by heating say a cup of water up by a specific amount (I know it would be very small, but I was just curious of the order of magnitude). But it seems I cannot do this, so there must be something obvious I am missing.

Science news on Phys.org
They don't cancel because they are two different masses. On the left is the mass equivalent of the energy and on the right is the rest mass of the water.

Likes 1 person
russ_watters said:
They don't cancel because they are two different masses. On the left is the mass equivalent of the energy and on the right is the rest mass of the water.
...or to put it another way, the equation should be
[tex]\Delta m \, c^2 = m \, c_m \, \Delta T[/tex]

1. What is the difference between heat and Einstein's equation?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred from one object to another due to a difference in temperature. Einstein's equation, also known as the mass-energy equivalence equation, states that energy and mass are equivalent and can be converted into one another.

2. How are heat and Einstein's equation related?

Heat and Einstein's equation are related through the concept of thermal energy. When a mass is heated, its particles gain kinetic energy and thus its mass increases according to Einstein's equation.

3. Why is there confusion between equating heat and Einstein's equation?

There may be confusion between equating heat and Einstein's equation because they involve different types of energy and different units of measurement. Heat is measured in joules, while the units for mass-energy equivalence are in kilograms and joules.

4. Can heat be converted into mass and vice versa?

Yes, according to Einstein's equation, heat can be converted into mass and vice versa. This has been demonstrated through nuclear reactions and particle accelerators, where energy is converted into mass and vice versa.

5. How does the understanding of heat and Einstein's equation impact scientific research and technology?

The understanding of heat and Einstein's equation has greatly impacted scientific research and technology, especially in the fields of nuclear energy and particle physics. It has also led to advancements in understanding the relationship between energy and matter, leading to further developments in technology such as nuclear reactors and medical imaging techniques.