Eelements of industrial system using uC

In summary: This can result in corrupted data, so it's important to save as much as you can before the brown out.In summary, the key elements you would typically implement in a ruggedized product are a watchdog timer, robustness to external transients, and design rules for floorplanning and layout.
Windadct
Eelements of "industrial" system using uC

I work in Power Electronics (components and stacks) and have a few products I would like to develop using uC - very simple, 1-4 channel PWM systems.

My question is - in addition to the core function ( input(s) - process - output(control) - RT feedback ) - What key elements do you routinely implement, in a ruggedized product. For example - how often do you implement a wachdog? Special shutdown, reset, or initializing routines.

In my experience - the "work" of developing a product is all of the accessory functions and features, and making it work in the field reliably, vs doing its job on the bench. -- I would say the typical sell-able product reliability would need to be 100 to 1000x what a typical hobby project would be - and what do you do to ensure this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Windadct said:
I work in Power Electronics (components and stacks) and have a few products I would like to develop using uC - very simple, 1-4 channel PWM systems.

My question is - in addition to the core function ( input(s) - process - output(control) - RT feedback ) - What key elements do you routinely implement, in a ruggedized product. For example - how often do you implement a wachdog? Special shutdown, reset, or initializing routines.

In my experience - the "work" of developing a product is all of the accessory functions and features, and making it work in the field reliably, vs doing its job on the bench. -- I would say the typical sell-able product reliability would need to be 100 to 1000x what a typical hobby project would be - and what do you do to ensure this?

You should definitely include a watchdog timer to reset the application if it is not getting "tickled" routinely. You should also consider the physical robustness of the device -- immunity to external transients and other disruptive things. For example, you could test to the European "CE" mark standards for immunity:

EN 61000-4-2 ESD
EN 61000-4-3 Radiated RF Immunity
EN 61000-4-4 Burst / Electrical Fast Transient
EN 61000-4-5 Surge
EN 61000-4-6 Conducted RF Immunity

These aren't easy tests to do yourself in your personal lab, but you can contract with test houses to perform the tests. The goal is to be sure that the device you've designed (both in hardware and software) is immune to every-day sources of interference and corruption. There are definately design rules and tricks to use when floorplanning and layout out your device.

Thanks Berkeman - I will be offering these designs to the actual product owners, so testing will be their realm - however advising them that the final design should be tested to x-y-z is how I operate - so it is not on my plate. In the power levels I am looking at (10 to 500KW) the devices are the worst enemy for most of this - -- Line V surge is the biggest unknown outside influence.

At the Real Time control level ( but also some HW isolation issues or best practices) is where I am targeting - there are a few applications that need effectively the same Power Electronics solution. Most of the HW issues I have a handle on - but the RT control level is the disconnect.

[Edit] - yes I have apps in that power that NEED very simple control, less to go wrong - then there is usually an application control layer.

Last edited:
EN 61000-4-11 is the Voltage Sags & Dips standard for the CE Mark test suite, BTW. :smile:

Don't forget the brown out. Many chips have a hardware interrupt that occurs when the power dips. Chips are fast enough to save some info before the power goes out.

1. What is a uC and how is it used in industrial systems?

A uC, or microcontroller, is a small computer on a single integrated circuit that is designed to control and monitor hardware in an industrial system. It is programmed with specific software to perform tasks such as data collection, process control, and communication with other devices.

2. What are the key elements of an industrial system using uC?

The key elements of an industrial system using uC include the microcontroller itself, sensors and actuators, power supply, communication interfaces, and user interface. These elements work together to collect data, control processes, and provide feedback in an industrial environment.

3. How do uCs improve efficiency in industrial systems?

By using a uC, industrial systems can automate processes and perform tasks more quickly and accurately than manual labor. This can increase efficiency, reduce human error, and save time and resources in the long run.

4. Can uCs be used in a wide range of industrial applications?

Yes, uCs are highly versatile and can be used in a variety of industrial applications such as manufacturing, transportation, energy management, and more. They can be tailored to specific needs and are suitable for both small and large-scale systems.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using uCs in industrial systems?

One potential drawback is the risk of software or hardware failures, which can lead to system malfunctions and downtime. It is important to have proper maintenance and backup systems in place to mitigate these risks. Additionally, uCs may require specialized knowledge and skills for programming and troubleshooting, which can add complexity and cost to their implementation.