how to calculate apparent size of an object based on distance

by dmehling
Tags: apparent, based, distance, object, size
dmehling
Dec30-13, 03:10 PM
P: 84
I would like to know what the size of my monitor would appear to be if I were to move further away from it. It is a 22 inch monitor, and let's say right now I am 24 inches away from it. If I were 30 inches away from it, what would the size appear to be? I have an eye tracking device mounted on my monitor and it needs to know the size of my screen. If I move the device closer to me but keep the monitor in the same place, I will need to give it different measurements, because it will be as if I have a smaller screen.
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Math modeling handbook now available
Hyperbolic homogeneous polynomials, oh my!
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
Stephen Tashi
Dec30-13, 03:50 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,175
Quote Quote by dmehling View Post
If I were 30 inches away from it, what would the size appear to be? I
You have to say precisely what you mean by the size appearing to be something. Are you asking the question:

"A 22 inch monitor at a distance of 30 inches from the eye appears to be the same size as X inch monitor that is 24 inches from the eye. Find X."
dmehling
Dec30-13, 05:29 PM
In other words, if I moved further away, it would get smaller. So, it would appear to be a certain size 24 inches away. I would like to know how big it would seem if I moved away another 6 inches, to be a distance of 30 inches away.

dmehling
Dec30-13, 05:32 PM

how to calculate apparent size of an object based on distance

Or maybe I should make it more specific to my situation. I have to tell the software the size of my monitor. If I move the eye tracking sensor further away from the screen, I will have to give new measurements, otherwise the eye tracking will be completely an accurate. So, if I have a 22 inch monitor, and I move the sensor further away from the monitor, it would be like using it on a small monitor.
Slinkey
Dec30-13, 05:34 PM
P: 30
No, it will be like using it on the same monitor. The monitor has not changed size.
dmehling
Dec30-13, 05:41 PM
No, it would be different. It is the way the sensor is designed. The sensor is tracking my eyes so that I can control the mouse cursor with my eyes. So it needs to know what the size of the monitor is. If the sensor is moved closer to me, but the monitor stays in the same place, the position of my eyes will have changed in relationship to the sensor. Then, the cursor will not be where I'm looking at.
Stephen Tashi
Dec30-13, 06:48 PM
Sci Advisor
[itex] \frac{22}{30} = \frac{X}{24} [/itex]

[itex] X = 17.6 [/itex]
dmehling
Dec31-13, 02:10 PM
So it's that simple? What about angular size? Does that not play a role in this kind of problem?
Stephen Tashi
Dec31-13, 03:28 PM
Sci Advisor
The tangent of the angle that the diagonal of the screen subtends is approximately given by the ratio [itex] \frac{22}{30} [/itex]. Setting the two angular sizes equal implies setting the two ratios equal. You can solve the problem without computing the angles.

Register to reply