Trying to build an LED light,

In summary: Only closely matched LEDs can be driven in series. Do you know if those units are matched well enough that they can be driven in series? It should say on the datasheet, or you can call their technical support folks to ask.Also, 72V is over what is called SELV (safety extra low voltage). You are getting into dangerous/hazardous voltage ranges there. If you can keep the voltages under 60V, you will generally be in the SELV range. But using more like a 12V power supply and putting the LEDs in parallel with their own individual current limiting resistors would be a much safer way for you to go at this point in your learning...
newhavenhydro
Hi,

I am new to this site, but it seem like there are some very intelligent people posting on this forum and I was hoping someone could help me out.

I am trying to build a LED light.

I would like to string 10 of these lights together and plug them into the wall.

5 watt
430nm (hyper violet)
6-7 max forward voltage
700mA
1000-1200 mW radiant power (not sure if that matters)

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Hyper-Violet-5W-430nm-High-Power-LED-for-Plant-Growing-and-Aquarium/804169_1447691205.html

I am confused on what parts i need and the logic/science behind how the volts amps and watts work. i am really here to learn i hope someone can help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
newhavenhydro said:
Hi,

I am new to this site, but it seem like there are some very intelligent people posting on this forum and I was hoping someone could help me out.

I am trying to build a LED light.

I would like to string 10 of these lights together and plug them into the wall.

5 watt
430nm (hyper violet)
6-7 max forward voltage
700mA
1000-1200 mW radiant power (not sure if that matters)

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Hyper-Violet-5W-430nm-High-Power-LED-for-Plant-Growing-and-Aquarium/804169_1447691205.html

I am confused on what parts i need and the logic/science behind how the volts amps and watts work. i am really here to learn i hope someone can help.

Welcome to the PF.

Your question is quite broad, so it is difficult for us to give a simple answer. If you don't yet know basic V=IR type electronics, it will be a big task for us to coach you through this. What background do you have in electronics so far?

From your link: "Voltage: 6.0-7.0V Current: 700mA" -- What are you planning to use for your power source?

Here is a link with basic info about driving LEDs: http://www.ledsmagazine.com/articles/print/volume-4/issue-8/features/driving-led-lamps-some-simple-design-guidelines.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I think i am going to use either a 72 volt 700mA 50 watt driver...if i can find one. or 2 36 volt 700mA 25 watt drivers... and though my prior knowledge is pretty lacking i have been studying up a lot... i understand that volts = amps * resistanse... in my readings i believe i will string negative end of the first star to the driver and the positive end of that same star to the negative end of the next star and so on until the tenth light where the wire from the positive goes back to the driver. then the driver gets spliced directly to a three prong AC adapter...

how does that sound...

newhavenhydro said:
I think i am going to use either a 72 volt 700mA 50 watt driver...if i can find one. or 2 36 volt 700mA 25 watt drivers... and though my prior knowledge is pretty lacking i have been studying up a lot... i understand that volts = amps * resistanse... in my readings i believe i will string negative end of the first star to the driver and the positive end of that same star to the negative end of the next star and so on until the tenth light where the wire from the positive goes back to the driver. then the driver gets spliced directly to a three prong AC adapter...

how does that sound...

Only closely matched LEDs can be driven in series. Do you know if those units are matched well enough that they can be driven in series? It should say on the datasheet, or you can call their technical support folks to ask.

Also, 72V is over what is called SELV (safety extra low voltage). You are getting into dangerous/hazardous voltage ranges there. If you can keep the voltages under 60V, you will generally be in the SELV range. But using more like a 12V power supply and putting the LEDs in parallel with their own individual current limiting resistors would be a much safer way for you to go at this point in your learning...

Hi there,

Building an LED light can be a fun and interesting project. Before we get into the specific parts you will need, let's discuss the basic science behind LEDs and how volts, amps, and watts work together.

LEDs, or light-emitting diodes, are semiconductors that emit light when an electric current passes through them. They are popular for their energy efficiency and long lifespan. The amount of light emitted by an LED is determined by the amount of current passing through it, which is measured in amps. The voltage, or electrical pressure, is what drives the current. Watts, on the other hand, are a measure of power, which is the rate at which energy is used. In simpler terms, watts are a combination of volts and amps, and they determine the brightness of the LED.

Now, in order to build your LED light, you will need to understand the specifications of the LED you have chosen. The 5 watt, 430nm LED you have selected has a maximum forward voltage of 6-7 volts and requires a current of 700mA. This means that in order to power one LED, you will need a voltage source of 6-7 volts and a power supply that can deliver 700mA of current. If you want to string 10 of these LEDs together, you will need a voltage source of 60-70 volts and a power supply that can deliver 7 amps of current.

In addition to these components, you will also need a resistor to regulate the current and prevent overheating of the LEDs. The value of the resistor will depend on the voltage source you are using and the number of LEDs in the circuit. I recommend using an online LED calculator to determine the appropriate resistor value for your specific circuit.

I hope this information helps you in building your LED light. Feel free to ask any further questions and happy experimenting!

1. What materials do I need to build an LED light?

To build an LED light, you will need an LED chip, a heat sink, a power supply, wires, a resistor, and a switch. You may also need a soldering iron, solder, and a PCB board if you want to create a more advanced LED light.

2. How do I connect the LED chip to the power supply?

You will need to use wires to connect the LED chip to the power supply. The positive leg of the LED chip should be connected to the positive terminal of the power supply, and the negative leg should be connected to the negative terminal. It is important to use the correct voltage for your LED chip to prevent damage.

3. What is the purpose of a heat sink in an LED light?

A heat sink is used to dissipate heat from the LED chip. LEDs can generate a lot of heat, and if not properly dissipated, it can damage the LED and reduce its lifespan. A heat sink helps to maintain a safe operating temperature for the LED.

4. How can I control the brightness of an LED light?

To control the brightness of an LED light, you can use a resistor. The resistor limits the amount of current flowing through the LED, which affects its brightness. You can also use a dimmer switch or a microcontroller to adjust the brightness of the LED light.

5. Can I use any power supply for my LED light?

No, you cannot use any power supply for your LED light. You must use a power supply with the correct voltage and current rating for your LED chip. Using the wrong power supply can damage the LED or cause it to not function properly.