How to Create a VGA to Composite Video Converter for RCA Output

In summary, if you want to use a camera with your raspberry pi, you will have to convert the video format it produces into a composite format. There are a few different ways to do this, but the best one is to use XOR gates.
Tesladude
http://m.ebay.com/itm/271230081889?cmd=VIDESC&gxo=true

How can I set this module up to have just a single video output so it can work with rca?

Engineering news on Phys.org
you would have to convert one of the video formats it currently produces say the RGB to composite video
not impossible, but would be easier just to get a camera module that already outputs composite video

DAve

Ya I tried but I cannot fond one for less than $30. Unless you guys know of any?

Tesladude said:
Ya I tried but I cannot fond one for less than $30. Unless you guys know of any?

Keep looking and bidding. The secret with eBay is never to be in a hurry if you want a bargain.

sophiecentaur said:
The secret with eBay is never to be in a hurry if you want a bargain.
... and never make a low bid a long time before the end of the auction. That is just telling the rest of the world you think it's a bargain at your bid price.

The best time to bid is usually 1 or 2 seconds before the auction closes, if you still like the price.

Tesladude said:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/271230081889?cmd=VIDESC&gxo=true

How can I set this module up to have just a single video output so it can work with rca?

First, decide what project you want to do. Do you want project to modify a camera, or to use a camera? Either could be fun and/or educational, but they are two different things.

Actually, the link I posted won't work to convert RGB into clean composite. But it will almost work. If I remember correctly there will be artifacts due to improper hsync during vsync. But it might still be good enough for what you need.

This guy says his circuit works
http://alistairsserver.no-ip.org/public/vgatv/vgatv.html -- just a bunch of resistors and two transistors.

The problem is that during vsync the polarity of the hsync pulses needs to change.

The right way to do this is http://zxm.speccy.cz/dok/Konvertor%20VGA%20na%20PAL%20a%20NTSC/VGA%20to%20PAL%20and%20NTSC%20video%20converter.htm except it is now S-video, not composite.

The right way to make composite sync is with XOR gates as in the above circuit.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I connect the camera module to my device?

To use the camera module, you will need to connect it to your device using the appropriate cable. Most camera modules use either a USB or HDMI cable. Make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper connection.

2. How do I turn on the camera module?

The camera module will typically have a power button or switch that needs to be turned on in order to use it. Some modules may also have a remote control for turning it on. Refer to the user manual for specific instructions.

3. How do I adjust the settings on the camera module?

Depending on your device, you may be able to adjust the camera settings directly on the module itself or through a connected app or software. Common settings to adjust include resolution, focus, and exposure.

4. Can I use the camera module for video recording?

Yes, most camera modules are capable of recording videos in addition to taking photos. Make sure to check the specifications of your specific module to ensure it has video recording capabilities.

5. How do I transfer the photos and videos from the camera module to my computer?

This will depend on the type of camera module you are using. Some modules may have built-in memory or an SD card where the files are stored and can be easily transferred to your computer. Others may require a USB connection or a wireless transfer through an app. Refer to the user manual for specific instructions.