Why is the non-inverting amplifier's bandwidth rating lower than expected?

In summary, the conversation discusses the testing of an op amp in different feedback configurations and the observed differences in bandwidth. The output signal is found to be attenuated at 1.6MHz for an inverting amplifier and 29KHz for a non-inverting amplifier, despite the op-amp's datasheet stating a bandwidth of 1.5MHz. Possible factors such as the number of capacitors used and the feedback factor are mentioned. The conversation ends with suggestions to try smaller input signals and calculations for the op-amp's slew rate and small signal bandwidth.
tomizzo
Hello, I have a question that I thought some of you may know an answer to.

I was recently testing an op amp is several closed-loop feedback configurations. Primarily inverting, and non-inverting.

When testing the output voltage of an invertin amplifier, I found that the output signal became attenuated at around 1.6MHz. The op-amp's data sheet says the bandwidth is 1.5MHz so this makes sense.

However, when I did the similar test with a non-inverting amplifier, I could only get up to 29KHz before bad deformation occurred. Why is this? I thought the op-amp was rated at 1.5MHz?

Does it have something to do with how many capacitors within the op-amp are being used in a non-inverting configuration?

I haven't been able to find a good answer so I will appreciate any help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
tomizzo said:
Hello, I have a question that I thought some of you may know an answer to.

I was recently testing an op amp is several closed-loop feedback configurations. Primarily inverting, and non-inverting.

When testing the output voltage of an invertin amplifier, I found that the output signal became attenuated at around 1.6MHz. The op-amp's data sheet says the bandwidth is 1.5MHz so this makes sense.

However, when I did the similar test with a non-inverting amplifier, I could only get up to 29KHz before bad deformation occurred. Why is this? I thought the op-amp was rated at 1.5MHz?

Does it have something to do with how many capacitors within the op-amp are being used in a non-inverting configuration?

I haven't been able to find a good answer so I will appreciate any help!

What gains were you testing at? Can you share the schematics of your test configurations?

The closed loop gain capabilities are a function of the input frequency. If I am not mistaken what would be supplied to you on the specification sheets are the gain bandwidth product of the chip. This can be used, along with your resistors (see 'feedback factor') to find the gain for varying input frequency. The derivation is a little cumbersome, especially in the case of the inverting amplifier, but the end result is that closed loop gain for both configurations only differs by 1 for the same feedback factor. So, for different instances of the same chip, it is odd I believe that you have received such a dramatic bandwidth decrease. As berkeman said it would be a good idea to post how the circuits are connected, I expect these feedback factors are wildly different. The feedback factor is calculated as one divided the non-inverting gain for both an inverting and non inverting amplifier arrangement. This is an oddity but not a unique one in electronics, many things that are common to both configurations (inverting and non inverting) are determined by the non-inverting configuration only. It appears not only here in frequency response but also in noise calculations and beyond.

Hopefully I didn't lead you astray if I did I am sure someone will set us both straight

The LM741 op-amps were powered with +/ 15V. The gain for the inverting amplifier was -3 and the non-inverting was 4.

I've posted images below of the circuits.

For the inverting op-amp, Rin = 3.3K ohm and Rf = 10K ohm.

Here is a screen shot of the output being shifted/deformed at 1.75 MHz which is outside the bandwidth of the op-amp. Refer to the attached screenshots from the oscilloscope.

The non-inverting op amp has Rg = 3.3K ohm and Rf = 10K ohm. The non-inverting output became deformed at 29Khz. The op-amp is rated at 1.5Mhz. Why is the output signal being distorted this much? Refer to the second attached screenshot from the oscillscope featuring the triangle wave.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQD70c1nUYza0Ed6zb6IPRKS1YZSqSrOaxcPkzstrbafsl0wpMe.png

220px-Operational_amplifier_noninverting.svg.png

Attachments

• scope_2.png
    scope_2.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 469
  • scope_12.png
    scope_12.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 457
Strange. If you use smaller signals, like around 1V max output voltage swing, what do you get for the bandwidths?

LM741 has a slew rate around 0.5V/us So the Fmax without distortion for 6V peak output is equal to
Fmax = (0.5V/us)/( 2 * pi * 6V) = 13.4KHz
So your op amp has slightly better SR then 0.5V/us.
Also the small signal bandwidth should be equal to.
fc = 1.5MHz/gain = 1.5MHz/4 = 375kHz

1. What is the Bandwidth Rating of an Op-Amp?

The bandwidth rating of an op-amp refers to the range of frequencies over which the op-amp can accurately amplify a signal. It is typically measured in Hertz (Hz) and is determined by the internal components and design of the op-amp.

2. Why is the Bandwidth Rating important?

The bandwidth rating is important because it determines the maximum frequency at which an op-amp can amplify a signal without distortion. It also affects the speed and stability of the op-amp, which can impact the overall performance of a circuit.

3. How is the Bandwidth Rating calculated?

The bandwidth rating of an op-amp is calculated by finding the frequency at which the gain of the op-amp drops by 3 dB (half power). This is known as the -3 dB point and is typically listed in the op-amp's datasheet.

4. Can the Bandwidth Rating be increased?

Yes, the bandwidth rating of an op-amp can be increased by using external components such as capacitors and resistors to adjust the frequency response of the op-amp. However, this may also affect other characteristics of the op-amp, so it is important to carefully consider the trade-offs.

5. What factors can affect the Bandwidth Rating of an Op-Amp?

The bandwidth rating of an op-amp can be affected by various factors including the internal design and components, the power supply voltage, and the load impedance of the circuit it is used in. Temperature and noise can also impact the bandwidth rating.