What are the risks and precautions when working with molten salts?

• Thread starter sundriedtomato
  • Start date
In summary: Jr. In summary, the metals/materials used in solar thermal plants can vary, but typically include stainless steel, copper, and hastelloy. Molten KI can cause vessels to break due to thermal shock, and working with it without a protective atmosphere can lead to oxidation. To learn more about working with molten salts, there are several resources available such as handbooks and books on industrial chemistry and corrosion.
sundriedtomato
I am working with molten KI (potassium iodide) as a flux in a synthesis process.
At the moment, sealed quartz vessels are used - I put solid KI into it, seal it, and it melts at 700degC in an oven, then I take it out, it solidifies and brakes my quartz vessel.

So far, I was not able to find a suitable substitute material, that can handle molten KI and Sulfur at the same time.

Questions are:

What are the metals/materials used in solar thermal plants? I searched and found only brief mentioning of hastelloy.

Why does KI brakes the vessel? - when salt solidifies, it should contract and not expand? Does it binds itself to quartz surface and pulls it?

What are the dangers of working with molten KI, when it is not under protective atmosphere, and is just in a lab room inside opened crucible? Will it oxidize?

If there is a literature you can suggest me to read about working with molten salts, and safety?

Thank You!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The metals/materials used in solar thermal plants are usually stainless steel or copper, though other materials such as hastelloy can also be used. The choice of material depends on the application and the environment it will be exposed to. The reason why KI breaks the vessel is likely because of thermal shock. When the molten KI cools rapidly, it will cause a thermal contraction in the vessel, which is more than the quartz can handle and hence it breaks. The dangers of working with molten KI without a protective atmosphere are mainly related to oxidation. Oxidation can occur due to contact with oxygen in the air, and the presence of sulfur compounds can accelerate the oxidation process. It is important to use appropriate safety equipment when working with molten salts, such as safety glasses, gloves, and a face shield. For more information on working with molten salts, you may want to consult the following resources: - Handbook of Industrial Chemistry & Biotechnology by Francis Brey - Industrial Chemical Process Design by D.G. Vlachos - Corrosion of Metallic Salts by John Scully - Molten Salts Handbook by William H. Corcoran

1. What are molten salts and how are they used in scientific research?

Molten salts are ionic compounds that are in a liquid state at high temperatures. They are used in various scientific fields such as chemistry, materials science, and nuclear energy research. In chemistry, molten salts are often used as solvents for reactions that cannot take place in water or organic solvents. In materials science, they are used for electrochemical plating and as electrolytes in batteries. In nuclear energy research, molten salts are used as coolants and fuel in certain types of reactors.

2. What precautions should be taken when working with molten salts?

When working with molten salts, it is important to wear appropriate protective gear such as heat-resistant gloves, goggles, and a lab coat. Molten salts can cause severe burns if they come in contact with skin. It is also important to work in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any toxic fumes that may be emitted from the molten salts. Additionally, proper training and knowledge of the properties of molten salts are essential to ensure safe handling and prevent accidents.

3. How are molten salts produced?

Molten salts are typically produced by heating solid salts at high temperatures until they melt. The exact temperature at which a salt melts depends on its chemical composition. Some salts may require temperatures as high as 1000°C to melt, while others may melt at lower temperatures. In some cases, molten salts can also be produced by dissolving solid salts in a suitable solvent at high temperatures.

4. What are the advantages of using molten salts in research compared to other solvents?

One major advantage of using molten salts in research is their high thermal stability. This allows them to be used at very high temperatures without decomposing, making them ideal for reactions that require extreme conditions. Molten salts also have a high ionic conductivity, which makes them useful as electrolytes in batteries and other electrochemical applications. Additionally, they are non-volatile and have low vapor pressures, making them easier to handle and less likely to evaporate compared to other solvents.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with working with molten salts?

Yes, there are potential risks associated with working with molten salts. As mentioned earlier, molten salts can cause severe burns if they come in contact with skin. They can also emit toxic fumes when heated, so proper ventilation is crucial. Additionally, some molten salts may react violently with certain materials or substances, so it is important to be aware of their chemical properties and potential hazards before using them in experiments.