What is the Integral of 2^(x)?

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, to find the integral of 2^x, we can use the known equality of the derivative of 2x and integrate it using the general case formula [ax]'=ax*lna. Another way is to substitute 2x with t and use the fact that ex and ln(x) are inverse functions. The derivative formula for 2x is also mentioned and the anti-derivative of 2x is (1/ln(2)) 2x. This can be generalized for ax, where the derivative is ln(a) ax and the anti-derivative is (1/ln(a)) ax.
MathematicalPhysics
Could someone please help me with the integral of 2^x. dx

I bet its really simple but i have looked in several books and they just give the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
1.The simplest way to solve it is to remember what is the derivative of 2x,by integrating the known equality.

(In the general case [ax]'=ax*lna with a=const)

2.Let 2x=t

x=(1/ln2)*lnt ---> dx=(1/ln2)*1/t*dt

Further is straightforward.

Last edited:
One way to do this is to note that, since ex and ln(x) are inverse functions, x= eln(x) for all x.

In particular, 2x= e^(ln(2x)= ex ln(2)

so that d(2x)/dx= dex ln(2)/dx= ln(2) 2x. (I'll bet that derivative formula is somewhere in your text.)

Since d(2x)/dx= ln(2) 2x,
the anti-derivative of 2x is (1/ln(2)) 2x.

In general, the derivative of ax is ln(a) ax and the anti-derivative is (1/ln(a)) ax.

(Notice that if a= e, ln(e)= 1 and we get the standard formulas.)

1. What is the general formula for integrating 2^(x)?

The general formula for integrating 2^(x) is ∫ 2^(x) dx = 2^(x)/ln(2) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. How do you solve the integral of 2^(x)?

To solve the integral of 2^(x), you can use the power rule of integration, which states that ∫ x^n dx = x^(n+1)/(n+1) + C. Therefore, for 2^(x), n = 1 and the integral becomes 2^(x)/ln(2) + C.

3. Can the integral of 2^(x) be evaluated using substitution?

Yes, the integral of 2^(x) can be evaluated using substitution. One possible substitution is u = 2^(x), which results in du = 2^(x)ln(2) dx. This substitution can simplify the integral to the form ∫ u du, which can be easily evaluated.

4. Is the integral of 2^(x) divergent or convergent?

The integral of 2^(x) is divergent. As x approaches infinity, 2^(x) also approaches infinity, making the integral unbounded.

5. Can the integral of 2^(x) be solved using integration by parts?

Yes, the integral of 2^(x) can be solved using integration by parts. One possible choice for u is 2^(x), which results in du = 2^(x)ln(2) dx. The remaining integral can then be evaluated using the power rule of integration.