Prepare for Electrodynamics Grad Class: Tips & Advice

In summary, to prepare for your graduate class in electrodynamics, you should brush up on PDE's, Green's functions, method of images, vector integral theorems, and complex variables. The books recommended for these topics are Boas for PDE, Griffiths for vector calculus, and Byron and Fuller for Green's Functions. Another helpful resource is "Div, Grad, Curl and All That" by H.M. Schey for a thorough treatment of vector calculus.
ptabor
I'm getting ready to take my graduate class in electrodynamics, and I'm wondering what I can do in the next couple weeks to prepare myself for the torture that is certain to ensue.

Physics news on Phys.org
Brush up on your PDE's, Green's functions, the method of images, and vector integral theorems. You might also brush up on your complex variables. Jackson never explicitly invokes them but several of your homework solutions will be shortened by pages if you know how and when to use those methods.

Thank you for the input.
for Vector Calc and image problems I'm using griffiths, for PDE I'm using Boas, for Green's Functions I'm using Byron and Fuller (Mathematics of Classical and Quantum Physics).
Are there any other resources anyone can suggest?

Boas also has a (rather short) section on Green's Functions. For getting vector calc down solid I reccomend Div, Grad, Curl and All That by H. M. Schey, you can get it pretty cheaply (although it isn't a Dover book) and he does a very thorough treatment.

1. What background knowledge do I need to have before taking an electrodynamics graduate class?

In order to succeed in an electrodynamics graduate class, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly vector calculus and differential equations. A working knowledge of classical mechanics and basic electricity and magnetism is also recommended.

2. How should I prepare for an electrodynamics graduate class?

It is important to review and solidify your understanding of the prerequisite topics mentioned above before the class begins. You can also familiarize yourself with the course material and textbook, and start practicing problems to strengthen your problem-solving skills.

3. Are there any specific resources or study materials that you recommend for preparing for an electrodynamics graduate class?

Aside from your class textbook, there are many additional resources available such as online lecture notes, problem sets, and practice exams. It may also be helpful to join study groups or seek guidance from professors or tutors.

4. How can I effectively manage my time and workload in an electrodynamics graduate class?

Electrodynamics can be a challenging subject, so it is important to stay organized and manage your time effectively. Make a study schedule and stick to it, prioritize your assignments and readings, and seek help if you are struggling with any concepts.

5. What are some general tips for success in an electrodynamics graduate class?

Aside from staying on top of the course material and seeking help when needed, it is important to actively participate in class discussions and ask questions. Practice problem-solving regularly, and don't be afraid to make mistakes - learning from them is an important part of the process. Lastly, make sure to take care of your mental and physical health to ensure you are in the best mindset for learning.