A very tricky problem that im just not getting

• Thread starter ajc9387
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving a glider on an inclined air track. The problem gives the initial and final velocity and asks for the angle of inclination. The individual has attempted to use the constant acceleration equation to solve for the angle, and is seeking help in finding a way to relate the angle to the acceleration or time. Another participant suggests that the acceleration is equal to g times the sine of the angle of inclination.
ajc9387
hey all

i have this very annoying physics problem that I've been looking at for hours.

In the physics laboratory, a glider is released from rest on a frictionless air track inclined at an angle. If the glider has gained a speed of 22.0 cm/s in traveling 40.0 cm from the starting point, what was the angle of inclination of the track? Assume that the initial velocity is zero.

I understand that you have the initial velocity and the final velocity, and you can find the acceleration with a "constant acceleration" equation, specifically DeltaX= 1/2acceleration*time squared, but how on Earth do you find the angle of inclination given only the value for x, and not for y or the hypotenuse?

Someone please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
oh...my work

So through using said acceleration equation
(v squared = v initial squared plus 2(acceleration)(displacement)

so i got that the acceleration is 6.05 cm/s

then from that i got that the time is equal to 22= 6.05t

So t is 3.64 seconds.

So I'm guessing there's a way to relate the sin of the angle to the acceleration or the time?

If the angle of inclination were 90 degrees, the glider would be falling straight down, accelerating at g=9.8 m/s^2. If the angle of inclination were 0 degrees, the glider would be sitting still, with an acceleration of 0.

The acceleration is therefore equal to g times the sine of the angle of inclination.

- Warren

1. What causes a problem to be considered "very tricky"?

A problem is considered "very tricky" when it is complex and requires a lot of critical thinking and problem-solving skills to solve. It may also involve multiple steps and have no clear solution.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Improving problem-solving skills requires practice and persistence. You can also try breaking down the problem into smaller parts, seeking help from others, and using different problem-solving techniques or strategies.

3. What are some common mistakes people make when trying to solve a tricky problem?

Some common mistakes people make when trying to solve a tricky problem include not fully understanding the problem, rushing to find a solution without fully considering all possibilities, and not seeking help or advice when needed.

4. Is there a specific approach or method that can help with solving tricky problems?

There is no one-size-fits-all approach to solving tricky problems. However, some common methods include breaking down the problem into smaller parts, brainstorming, and using trial and error or logical reasoning.

5. How can I stay motivated when facing a difficult problem?

Staying motivated when facing a difficult problem can be challenging. It can help to take breaks, seek support from others, and remind yourself of the potential benefits of solving the problem. It's also important to stay positive and believe in your abilities to overcome the challenge.