Exploring Houston's Science and Technology Scene: A Look at Major Labs in Texas

• Thread starter Line
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Labs
In summary, Houston is a major hub for science and technology, with numerous labs and research facilities in the medical and engineering fields. Some notable labs include those at NASA, Exxon, Shell, and the Houston Advanced Research Center. There are also research facilities at universities such as the University of Houston and Rice University. One individual mentions working at a mysterious lab called Area 52, located 120 miles south of Houston, which focuses on chemical engineering.
Line
You probrbaly know that Texas is a hotspot for Science and Technology.

I happen to be in Houston. While there's really no such thing as a Science company we do have labs. WHile there are a lot in The Medical center doing research in the biomedical fields I want to know are there any major labs in Houston.

Big ones like government or corporate labs with hundreds of employees. I know we've got NASA but I don't know if there are any really big laboratory areas down there.

Physics news on Phys.org
I work at Area 52 120 miles south of Houston as secretary. They experiment with chemical engineering. It seems quite alien to me sometimes.

Exxon and Shell have research labs in Houston. I lived near the Shell facility, about 30 years ago, and I spent time at the Exxon facility 30+ years ago when I was in Explorer Scouts.

There are places like Houston Advanced Research Center - http://www.harc.edu/harc/Content/About/ShowStatic.aspx/8 [Broken]

Universities like U of H and Rice have research facilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mk said:
I work at Area 52 120 miles south of Houston as secretary. They experiment with chemical engineering. It seems quite alien to me sometimes.

Are 52, ist that what they really call it? I've neer heard of it.

1. What are some of the major research labs in Houston?

Some of the major research labs in Houston include NASA's Johnson Space Center, the Texas Medical Center, and the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center.

2. What types of scientific research are conducted in Houston?

Houston is home to a wide range of scientific research, including space exploration, medical research, energy and environmental studies, and advanced technology development.

3. How does Houston's science and technology scene contribute to the city's economy?

Houston's science and technology industry plays a significant role in the city's economy, providing jobs, generating revenue, and attracting investment and talent from around the world.

4. Are there any notable collaborations between different labs in Houston?

Yes, there are several notable collaborations between different labs in Houston, including partnerships between NASA and the Texas Medical Center, as well as collaborations between academic research institutions and private companies.

5. How can someone get involved in Houston's science and technology scene?

There are many ways to get involved in Houston's science and technology scene, such as participating in internships or research projects at local labs, attending conferences and events, and joining professional organizations in your field of interest.