Corresponding interior and exterior angles

In summary, the original problem asked to find the values of x and y in the figure AB ll CD, with given measurements of 42 and y-12. The next problem, involving the figure with parallel lines and angles, asked to find the measure of angle PRK. The solution is found by using the parallel lines and corresponding angles theorem, resulting in angle PRK being 120 degrees.
Richay
SO i have a problem that's "AB ll CD, Find x and y".
I got the answer of x=48, =144
Because first the measure they already gave you was 42. As well as y - 12for the other angle measure. And x was the measurement for D. blah it's too hard to explain but i got it correct.

My point is that in the next question i had no clue what to do. It was totally different but under the same category.

"In the figure, m<NML=120, PQ ll TU and KL ll NM. Find the measure of angle PRK."

How do i solve this?

Here's a visual

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/4110/126ip.jpg" [Broken]

My answer was 100. Am i correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Richay said:
SO i have a problem that's "AB ll CD, Find x and y".
I got the answer of x=48, =144
Because first the measure they already gave you was 42. As well as y - 12for the other angle measure. And x was the measurement for D. blah it's too hard to explain but i got it correct.

My point is that in the next question i had no clue what to do. It was totally different but under the same category.

"In the figure, m<NML=120, PQ ll TU and KL ll NM. Find the measure of angle PRK."

How do i solve this?

Here's a visual

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/4110/126ip.jpg" [Broken]

My answer was 100. Am i correct?

In a word, no. Sorry!

Since KL and NM are parallel, we know that angle NML and angle KLT are equal.

Since PQ and TU are parallel, we know that angle KLT and angle KRP (which you called, more or less equivalently, PRK) are equal.

Thus angle PRK is 120 degrees also.

-Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
lol should of knew that. thanks

1. What are corresponding interior and exterior angles?

Corresponding interior and exterior angles are two angles that are formed when a transversal line intersects two parallel lines. These angles are located on the same side of the transversal line and are either both interior or both exterior angles.

2. How are corresponding interior and exterior angles related?

Corresponding interior and exterior angles are related in that they are congruent, meaning they have the same measurement. This is true for all pairs of corresponding angles, regardless of the angle's position or the measure of the angles.

3. What is the difference between corresponding interior and exterior angles?

The main difference between corresponding interior and exterior angles is their position in relation to the parallel lines and transversal line. Corresponding interior angles are located inside the parallel lines, while corresponding exterior angles are located outside the parallel lines.

4. How can corresponding interior and exterior angles be used in solving problems?

Corresponding interior and exterior angles can be used in solving problems involving parallel lines and transversals. By recognizing the relationship between these angles, we can use the properties of parallel lines to find the measure of missing angles or prove that two lines are parallel.

5. Can the measure of corresponding interior and exterior angles ever be different?

No, the measure of corresponding interior and exterior angles will always be the same, as long as the lines remain parallel and the transversal line remains in the same position. This is a fundamental property of corresponding angles.