Calculating Power Dissipation in a Wired Circuit with Resistors and a 9V Battery

In summary, the conversation is about determining the power dissipated in the R4 resistor in a circuit consisting of resistors R1, R2, R3, R4, and R5, with a 9V battery. The summary includes steps for finding the total resistance, total current, and voltage across R4 and R5. The final step is to calculate the power dissipated using the current and resistance of R4. The conversation ends with the correct answer being found.
spoonthrower
ooooooXXXXR2XXXXXR3XXXX
XXR1XXoooooooooooooooooXXXXX
XooooXoooooooooooooooooXooooX
XooooXXXXR4XXXXXXR5XXXXoooX
XoooooooooooooooooooooooooooX
XXXXXXXXX+BATTERY-XXXXXXXXX

X=WIRE
o= blank space (ignore)
R=resistor
battery= 9 V

Determine the power dissipated in the R4 resistor in the circuit shown in the drawing.

R1=3 ohms
R2=2 ohms
R3=1 ohms
R4=6 ohms
R5=1 ohms

So here is what i know so far. The resistance of R4+R5=7. The resistance of R2+R3=3. So the resistance of R2345=1/(1/7+1/3)=2.1 ohms. The total resistance through the entire circuit is R1+R2345=3+2.1=5.1 ohms.
So I use this total resistance to calculate the total current I=V/R so
I=9V/5.1ohms=1.76A. Now I can use this total current to calculate the voltage across R4 and R5. V=IR=1.76(2.1)=3.7 V across R4 and R5 since Voltage across parallel circuits are the same. I know power=IR^2=V^2/R.
But i cannot just plug in 3.7V^2/6ohms. This isn't giving me the right answer. I need to find the voltage across R4 only. I am not sure how to do this since the current is different passing through each resistor. please help and correct me if any of the previous steps i did were wrong. thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
spoonthrower said:
ooooooXXXXR2XXXXXR3XXXX
XXR1XXoooooooooooooooooXXXXX
XooooXoooooooooooooooooXooooX
XooooXXXXR4XXXXXXR5XXXXoooX
XXXXXXXXX+BATTERY-XXXXXXXXX

X=WIRE
o= blank space (ignore)
R=resistor
battery= 9 V

Determine the power dissipated in the R4 resistor in the circuit shown in the drawing.

R1=3 ohms
R2=2 ohms
R3=1 ohms
R4=6 ohms
R5=1 ohms

So here is what i know so far. The resistance of R2+R3=7. The resistance of R4+R5=3. So the resistance of R2345=1/(1/7+1/3)=2.1 ohms. The total resistance through the entire circuit is R1+R2345=3+2.1=5.1 ohms.
So I use this total resistance to calculate the total current I=V/R so
I=9V/5.1ohms=1.76A. Now I can use this total current to calculate the voltage across R4 and R5. V=IR=1.76(2.1)=3.7 V across R4 and R5 since Voltage across parallel circuits are the same. I know power=IR^2=V^2/R.
But i cannot just plug in 3.7V^2/6ohms.
I have no idea where your 6 ohms comes from!
This isn't giving me the right answer. I need to find the voltage across R4 only. I am not sure how to do this since the current is different passing through each resistor. please help and correct me if any of the previous steps i did were wrong. thanks.
You kno wthe voltage across the combined R45. Now find the current through both by using I = V/R45 = 3.7V/3 ohms. That's the current through R4. Now use Power = R_4 I^2

sry, lil typo, it is fixed now.
R4=6 ohms
and I got the right answer. thanks man.

1. What is a wired circuit?

A wired circuit is a closed loop made up of electrical components, such as wires, resistors, capacitors, and transistors, that work together to allow the flow of electrical current.

2. What is the purpose of a circuit in terms of power?

The purpose of a circuit is to control the flow of electrical power from a source, such as a battery or power supply, to a load, such as a light bulb or motor. This allows for the conversion of electrical energy into other forms, such as light or motion.

3. How does a circuit control the flow of power?

A circuit controls the flow of power through the use of components such as resistors, which limit the amount of current, and switches, which can open or close the circuit. These components work together to regulate the flow of power to the desired level.

4. What is the difference between AC and DC circuits?

AC (alternating current) circuits use a current that constantly changes direction, while DC (direct current) circuits use a current that flows in only one direction. AC circuits are typically used for long distance power transmission, while DC circuits are used for smaller, more local applications.

5. How does electricity flow through a wired circuit?

Electricity flows through a wired circuit in a closed loop. The current flows from the positive terminal of the power source, through the components, and back to the negative terminal of the power source. The flow of electricity is controlled by the components in the circuit.