Timeless Texts: Top Probability Books for Undergrad and Grad Students

In summary, the conversation was about the search for classic undergraduate and graduate level books on probability. The person was looking for a book that was mathematically involved and had a prerequisite of Calculus 3. They also mentioned their current class which covers basic probability, random variables, and joint distributions. The recommended books were "Mood, Graybill & Boes" and "A first course in probability" by Sheldon M. Ross.
mattmns
Hi, what are some of the classic undergrad/grad books on probability?

I am currently taking a 2nd/3rd year undergrad class on probability (calculus-based), and the next probability class I am taking is an upper-level-undergrad / low-level-grad class, so I am looking for a book at that level. The only prereq for the class is calc 3, but as I have said I have taken some calc-based probabilty, so a book that is mathematically involved would be fine, and actually desired.

Here is the description of the class I will be taking: Mathematical models for random experiments, random variables, expectation. The common discrete and continuous distributions with application. Joint distributions, conditional probability and expectation, independence. Laws of large numbers and the central limit theorem. Moment generating functions. Prereq: Calculus 3 (mutlivariable/vector)

And here is the description of the prob/stats class I am currently taking: Basic probability, discrete random variables, continuous random variables, independence, joint distributions, expected values, variances and covariances, moment generating functions, confidence intervals and tests for one and two sample problems. Topics from: Markov chains, queues, sums of random variables, systems models, reliability. Prereq: Calculus 2

I am not asking for a book that is perfectly catored to my needs, although if you have some thoughs that would be great, I am just looking for what are considered to be some of the classic undergrad/grad books on probability

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mood, Graybill & Boes.

dunno if it's a classic, but I am using the book 'A first course in probability' by Sheldon M. Ross. The book ends with the laws of large nunebrs and the central limit thms.

1. What is the definition of "probability" in classic probability books?

Probability is the measure of the likelihood that an event will occur. In classic probability books, probability is often defined as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 represents impossibility and 1 represents certainty.

2. What are some popular classic probability books?

Some popular classic probability books include "An Introduction to Probability Theory and Its Applications" by William Feller, "The Theory of Probability" by Bruno de Finetti, and "Probability Theory: The Logic of Science" by E.T. Jaynes.

3. What topics are typically covered in classic probability books?

Classic probability books typically cover topics such as basic principles of probability, combinatorics, random variables, probability distributions, and statistical inference.

4. Are classic probability books still relevant today?

Yes, classic probability books are still relevant today as they provide a solid foundation and understanding of probability theory, which is essential in many fields such as statistics, economics, and engineering.

5. Are there any recommended prerequisites for reading classic probability books?

Some knowledge of basic algebra and calculus is usually recommended for understanding and applying the concepts in classic probability books. Familiarity with basic concepts in statistics can also be helpful.