Accidentally Drinking - A Tale of Hospitalization

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, Evo's daughter has mono and is currently in the hospital. Mono is a virus that can be spread through coughing, sneezing, or sharing drinks. This is the second time Evo's daughter has contracted mono. Mono is a virus that can be spread through coughing, sneezing, or sharing drinks. Evo is going to have to explain this to his brother.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
The Spawn of Evo has mono and is pretty sick. Of course, what is the first thing I do when I go over there? I accidently picked up her can of soda and drank it. That's how I got mono and ended up in the hospital last time.

I guess I'd better check with the doctor, it's probably too late to do anything. :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
This girl is always getting sick :frown:

That's too bad, I'll have to share this plate of crabcakes with moonbear now...

What's mono?

mononucleosis. Aka, 'the kissing disease', since that is a common mode of infection.

brewnog said:
What's mono?
Mono, short for mononucleosis, is caused by an infection with the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), a virus in the herpes family of viruses.

When a person first notices symptoms, he or she may have 3-5 days of headache and feeling tired, followed by fever, sore muscles, headache, sore throat, and loss of appetite. Two indicators that someone may have something more than a cold or the flu are feeling tired all the time, and having swollen lymph nodes (glands) in the neck, under the arms, and around the groin. Some people also have an enlarged liver or spleen.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Evo said:
Mono, short for mononucleosis, is caused by an infection with the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), a virus in the herpes family of viruses.

When a person first notices symptoms, he or she may have 3-5 days of headache and feeling tired, followed by fever, sore muscles, headache, sore throat, and loss of appetite. Two indicators that someone may have something more than a cold or the flu are feeling tired all the time, and having swollen lymph nodes (glands) in the neck, under the arms, and around the groin. Some people also have an enlarged liver or spleen.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

So that's where the 'i don't kiss them on the lips' started :biggrin:

hey HEY HEY put that gun away, Evo..

Evo said:

Get immediate treatment. I heard recently of a possible link between mononucleosis (EBV) and multiple sclerosis. :frown:

Infectious mononucleosis (mono) or glandular fever is often called the kissing disease. The label is only partly true. Kissing can spread the virus that causes this disease, but more commonly coughing, sneezing, or sharing a glass or cup transmits mononucleosis. It's not highly contagious.
http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00352.html

http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/EpsteinBarrvirus.html

It may be more an issue for adolescents and young adults, rather than later in life. :frown:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhh!

My medic mate got glandular fever a few years back. His head and bollocks swelled up to about three times their normal size.

brewnog said:
Ahhh!

My medic mate got glandular fever a few years back. His head and bollocks swelled up to about three times their normal size.

It gets worse, i have just been reading about them herpis, orible little beggars, and now this.

I hope you have NOT caught it Evo, maybe all the other bugs you have had
will kill it.

Evo, if you've already had mono you won't likely get sick of it again since your body has raised immunity. I hope your daughter recovers soon.

I used to belong to this BBS service, and someone said online that he thought he's getting mono, and a person responded right after him by asking "Why aren't you getting stereo instead?"

:)

Hope Spawn gets better soon. Tell her she'll get to go with you to Disney World in Sept, Evo! :)

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I used to belong to this BBS service, and someone said online that he thought he's getting mono, and a person responded right after him by asking "Why aren't you getting stereo instead?"
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: har har har

My brother had mono and never knew it. I think the Dr. had decided to do some blood tests to make sure his liver was ok and that's how he found out.

It just doesn't end with you does it Evo...

I think your spawn has some explaining to do too :biggrin:

I suppose that if you have to have something from the Herpes family, that's one of the less offensive ones. :uhh:

I had mono a few years ago and was told by my doctor that in order to get mono there are quite a few things that need to happen. If you are not run down and your immune system is good you likely won't get it. I also recall that E.B. virus lives in your body all the time. Seems like it is in the sinus or nasal cavity or something? It is kept in check though, if it gets loose so to speak, you get mono.

It is typically transmitted from asymptomatic individuals through saliva or blood, or by sharing a drinking glass, eating utensils, or needles.
So, uh, which was it? Sharing saliva or blood? Drinking after somebody? Oh my god, was she eating utensils? Eating needles??

Mk said:
So, uh, which was it? Sharing saliva or blood? Drinking after somebody? Oh my god, was she eating utensils? Eating needles??
Yeah, she was probably eating utensils and needles. :bugeye:

I had mono during my senior spring break in high school. That sucked. My friends went skiing at Snowbird and I sat at home.

Averagesupernova said:
I had mono a few years ago and was told by my doctor that in order to get mono there are quite a few things that need to happen. If you are not run down and your immune system is good you likely won't get it.
Yeah, that's usually the case...you don't catch it unless you've been run down to the point where your immune system is very vulnerable. That's why it seems to hit college kids so hard, because they're stressed out, not sleeping much, eating poorly, sometimes :rolleyes: partying a bit too much, and their immune system just can't keep up with it all. And, then it sometimes takes a while to figure out they've caught it, because they just feel crappy and tired and assume they're just run down from stress...that is until the symptoms worsen and they finally see a doctor and find out that's what they have.

Hope the spawn is getting plenty of rest and starts to feel better soon.

1. What is "Accidentally Drinking - A Tale of Hospitalization" about?

"Accidentally Drinking - A Tale of Hospitalization" is a true story about a person who accidentally drank a toxic substance and had to be hospitalized. It details the events leading up to the accident, the symptoms experienced, and the medical treatment received.

2. What can happen if someone accidentally drinks a toxic substance?

The effects of accidentally drinking a toxic substance can vary depending on the type and amount of substance consumed. It can range from mild symptoms such as nausea and vomiting to more severe symptoms like organ damage or even death.

3. How can someone prevent accidentally drinking a toxic substance?

To prevent accidentally drinking a toxic substance, it is important to always store harmful substances out of reach and in their original containers. It is also crucial to read labels and follow instructions carefully. If unsure, it is best to err on the side of caution and seek professional advice.

4. What should someone do if they accidentally drink a toxic substance?

If someone accidentally drinks a toxic substance, they should immediately seek medical help. They should also try to identify the substance and bring the container or label with them to the hospital. Do not induce vomiting unless instructed by a medical professional.

5. Is accidental poisoning common?

Accidental poisoning is more common than most people realize, especially among young children. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, over 300 children in the United States are treated in emergency departments every day for accidental poisoning. It is important to take precautions to prevent these accidents from happening.