Solving Double Slit Question with 16.81x10^-19J Energy

In summary, the energy of a single photon in the beam is 10.5eV. The wavelength of a photon is about 1.18e-7m.
physics_06er
Hello

Could someone please help me with this question,,I have no idea how to work it out and have looked through my textbook/notes and arrrr still can't do it...

A beam of photons encounters a double slit that has a separation distance d = 34.0 μm. Note: the diagram is not drawn to scale...(the diagram just shows a slit with a detector array 'x' meters away)

a)...if a single photon in the beam has an energy of 16.81x10^-19J what is it's energy in eV?

I calculated that to be 10.5eV but then its the next one I can't do as I have no other info. besides separation distance and energy!

b) What is it's wavelength?
??

Any help would be much appreciated
Thank you
physics_06er

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to show your work here first.

The two questions are very easy. Go through your Modern Physics textbook/course notes again...you're missing something.

I think this is enough of a hint: there was a guy named Max Planck...

Chi Meson said:
I think this is enough of a hint: there was a guy named Max Planck...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: And he lived in a land far far away... :tongue2:

~H

Hootenanny said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: And he lived in a land far far away... :tongue2:

~H
Then one day, the morning after the ultraviolet catastrophe erupted...
nah!

Sorry, back to the thread. What is the thing Planck is most remembered for?

Chi Meson said:
Then one day, the morning after the ultraviolet catastrophe erupted...
nah!

Yes, I think this thread has become a little tangental. We should wait for the OP to return before we continue our story :biggrin:

~H

Hi there

Thanks for the help

so I just found Freq using E=hf and then wavelength using c=f.lamda coming up with 1.18e-7m

Thanks again
physics_06er

...You guys can carry on your story if you wish :approve:

Hello there...so I worked out how to to the angle question...however can someone pls check my working...by the way I made a mistake in my first post the separation distance is 38.0micrometres

...so to find the freq. i used E/h ..16.81e-19/6.63e-19=2.535444947Hz then I went 3e8/2.535444947 and got 118322427.1 (its in meters right)..well the answer says 0.118nm? What have I done wrong...

Next for the angle question i used dsintheta=(m+0.5)lamda and got an angle of 0.089...however this is when I use the answer they have given me...someone please tell me where I have gone wrong?

Last edited:
seems my angle question was deleted...but the question was if the detector array is placed 3.0m behind the double slit determine:...the angle m=0 destructive interference which is the one I have answered above---and also this one I hav NO idea how to do...determine the distance above the center of the interference pattern..I don't even know what they are asking?

physics_06er said:
...so to find the freq. i used E/h ..16.81e-19/6.63e-19=2.535444947Hz then I went 3e8/2.535444947 and got 118322427.1 (its in meters right)..well the answer says 0.118nm? What have I done wrong...

re-check your value for h... I haven't done the calculations, but it should put you in the right ball park

What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic experiment in quantum mechanics that demonstrates the wave-like nature of particles. It involves sending particles, such as electrons, through two narrow slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

What is the significance of using 16.81x10^-19J energy in the double slit experiment?

The energy used in the double slit experiment is important because it determines the behavior of the particles. In this case, 16.81x10^-19J energy is equivalent to the energy of a single photon of light, which is the minimum amount of energy required for interference to occur in the experiment.

How does the energy of the particles affect the interference pattern in the double slit experiment?

The energy of the particles affects the interference pattern in the double slit experiment because it determines the wavelength of the particles. Higher energy particles have shorter wavelengths and therefore exhibit more diffraction and less interference, resulting in a different pattern on the screen.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the results in the double slit experiment?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the results in the double slit experiment. These include the distance between the slits and the screen, the size of the slits, and the stability of the experimental setup. Additionally, external factors such as air currents and vibrations can also impact the results.

Can the double slit experiment be applied to macroscopic objects?

No, the double slit experiment is only applicable to particles on the quantum scale. As objects become larger and more complex, their behavior is governed by classical physics rather than quantum mechanics, and therefore cannot exhibit wave-like behavior.