Rolling Resistance Equations

In summary, rolling resistance force at a given speed is represented by the equation RR = aWS, while rolling resistance force at a given rate of acceleration is represented by the equation RR = aWS^2. The variables in these equations are defined as follows: RR is rolling resistance, a is the coefficient of rolling resistance, W is vehicle weight, and S is speed. However, there is some debate and confusion surrounding the relationship between rolling resistance and speed, and it may be best to seek clarification from an engineering forum. Additionally, there is another equation, F_{rr} = \mu mg, that represents rolling resistance, but it is not dependent on velocity or acceleration.
Ideologue
Are these simple equations correct?

For rolling resistance force at a given speed:

RR = aWS

For rolling resistance force at a given rate of acceleration:

RR = aWS^2

Where:

RR = rolling resistance

a = coefficient of rolling resistance

W = vehicle weight

S = speed

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I am aware, rolling resistance is not dependant on velocity or acceleration is is simply given by;

[tex]F_{rr} = \mu mg[/tex]

You may be better posting this in an engineering forum though.

~H

[tex] P \approx \frac{Wa}{r} [/tex]

W = weight
a = coefficient of rolling resistance
r = radius of wheel

Thank you both for your replies.

I have read that rolling resistance does increase with speed, but I have read a lot of confusing and contradicting information on this issue. That is why I now seek clarification. Engineering forum posting is a good idea.

Cyrus’, I am not entirely sure how to use your equation. I admit that I am at a very basic level and I am (due to reading pages of contradicting information from people with negative teaching ability) in a state of high confusion! Please could you explain it and perhaps state where you learned it?

What is rolling resistance?

Rolling resistance is the force that opposes the motion of a wheel or a rolling object on a surface. It is caused by the deformation of the tire or contact area between the wheel and the surface.

What factors affect rolling resistance?

The factors that affect rolling resistance include the type of tire, tire pressure, surface roughness, load on the tire, and speed of the rolling object.

What is the equation for rolling resistance?

The equation for rolling resistance is Frr = Crr * W, where Frr is the rolling resistance force, Crr is the coefficient of rolling resistance, and W is the weight or load on the tire.

How is rolling resistance coefficient determined?

The rolling resistance coefficient (Crr) is determined experimentally by measuring the force required to roll a tire on a specific surface at a constant speed and load. It can also be estimated using empirical equations based on tire properties and surface characteristics.

How does rolling resistance affect fuel efficiency?

Rolling resistance is a major factor in determining the fuel efficiency of a vehicle. As the rolling resistance increases, more energy is required to move the vehicle, resulting in lower fuel efficiency. Reducing rolling resistance can improve fuel efficiency and reduce emissions.