Using Matlab to find the cross product of variables?

In summary, the cross product in Matlab is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and produces a third vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It can be calculated using the "cross" function, which takes two vectors as input and returns the cross product as a third vector. The "cross" function can also handle multiple vectors as input and can be visualized using the "quiver" function. If the vectors have different dimensions, the "reshape" function can be used to convert them before finding the cross product.
skybox
Hi guys,

I was wondering how I could type a function into MATLAB to computer the cross product of variables.

For example I want to compute the cross product of the following:

1zeaydi.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

To compute the cross product of variables in MATLAB, you can use the cross() function. The syntax for this function is:

C = cross(A,B)

Where A and B are the two vectors whose cross product you want to compute, and C is the resulting cross product vector.

For example, if you have two vectors A = [1 2 3] and B = [4 5 6], you can use the following code to compute their cross product:

C = cross(A,B)

The resulting vector C will be [ -3 6 -3].

Hope this helps!

What is the cross product in Matlab?

The cross product, also known as the vector product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and produces a third vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors.

How do I use Matlab to find the cross product of two vectors?

In Matlab, the cross product can be calculated using the "cross" function. This function takes two vectors as input and returns the cross product as a third vector. The syntax is as follows:
cross(u,v)
where u and v are the input vectors.

Can I find the cross product of more than two vectors in Matlab?

Yes, the "cross" function in Matlab can also handle multiple vectors as input. The syntax is as follows:
cross(u,v,w,...)
where u, v, w, and any additional vectors are the input vectors.

What if the vectors I want to find the cross product of are not in the same dimension?

In order to find the cross product of vectors with different dimensions, you will first need to use the "reshape" function to convert them into the same dimension. Then, you can use the "cross" function as usual to find the cross product.

Can I visualize the cross product in Matlab?

Yes, you can use the "quiver" function in Matlab to create a visual representation of the cross product. This function plots arrows in 2D or 3D space to represent vectors. You can plot the original vectors and the resulting cross product to visualize the relationship between them.