Calculating Thevenin Voltage in Circuit w/Load Resistor

In summary, to calculate the thevenin resistance in a circuit with a load resistor, one method is to replace the load with an open and calculate the output voltage, then replace the load with a short and calculate the output current, and find the ratio of V/I. Another method is to remove all sources and determine the thevenin resistance while removing the load resistance. The thevenin voltage and resistance can also be computed by applying two different load resistances to the output terminals, with one of them being infinite.
esmeco
I was wondering,how do we calculate the thevenin resistance in a circuit with a load resistor?Do we remove the load?How do we calculate the voltage at the load terminals?

Physics news on Phys.org
esmeco said:
I was wondering,how do we calculate the thevenin resistance in a circuit with a load resistor?Do we remove the load?How do we calculate the voltage at the load terminals?

Well, there are a couple of ways you can calculate the thevenin resistance. The formal way would be to replace the load with an open and then calculate the output voltage there and then to replace the load with a short and then calculate the output current there. The ratio of the calculated V/I is the thevenin resistance.

You can also remove all voltage sources and current sources (short voltage sources and open current sources and then determine the thevenin resistance. You would remove the load resistance.

you can compute the thevenin voltage and thevenin resistance by applying two different and known load resistances to the output terminals. often one of those loads is an infinite resistance (then the output voltage is the thevenin voltage), but it doesn't have to be.

1. What is Thevenin's Theorem?

Thevenin's Theorem states that any linear electrical network can be replaced by an equivalent circuit consisting of a single voltage source and a single series resistor. This equivalent circuit, known as the Thevenin equivalent circuit, will produce the same voltage and current as the original circuit at the output terminals.

2. How do I calculate Thevenin voltage?

Thevenin voltage is calculated by first finding the open-circuit voltage at the output terminals of the circuit, then removing all sources and calculating the voltage between those terminals. This voltage is the Thevenin voltage.

3. What is a load resistor?

A load resistor is a resistor that is connected to the output terminals of a circuit. It is used to simulate a load on the circuit and to measure the voltage and current at the output terminals.

4. How is Thevenin voltage affected by load resistors?

Thevenin voltage is not affected by load resistors. It is a constant voltage that is determined by the original circuit and remains the same regardless of the load resistor connected to it.

5. Can Thevenin voltage be negative?

Yes, Thevenin voltage can be negative. This means that the Thevenin equivalent circuit will have a voltage source with a negative voltage and a series resistor. It is important to pay attention to the polarity of the voltage when using Thevenin's Theorem in circuit analysis.