Magnetic poles(repulsion+attraction)

• Thread starter superweirdo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetic
In summary, magnets are relativistic because when two magnets are pulled towards each other, the force is not the same for every particle in between the magnets.
superweirdo
What makes a magnetic pole attract another, while, the other kind repel each other?

Physics news on Phys.org
Superweirdo, rather than shooting a hundred basic questions at the forums, you would be better served to try and learn the subject matter on your own and come here with specific doubts regarding points that you are unclear about. That would also be in the best interest of the forums, in my opinion.

For instance, you must first understand broadly how a magnet works, before you start wondering about why it behaves in a certain way. I could tell you that the dipole-dipole interaction energy has a maximum for one orientation and a minimum for the other, but that would help in no way unless you know how to calculate such a thing.

From all the other threads I've read, I don't get the impression that you are actually learning anything...just picking up a few disconnected tidbits that will sooner than later leave your head for lack of a unified comprehension.

What we could do well, however, is point you to learning resources that will help build such a comprehension.

Last edited:
Actually to tell you the truth, this forum has taught me a lot of things, I am in in AP physics right now and I am grasping all the material. The only thing I didn't get here is the the one about how an atom decays b/c I need to review that stuff, I also know that too. But I guess for this question, I better get a deep knowledge in this category instead of asking this question. Can you perhaps direct to a link?

Something along the lines of : http://www.coolmagnetman.com/maghow.htm

followed by or in conjunction with an understanding of how dipoles create and interact with fields. There's a brief discussion of results in the early part of this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipole

The best way to learn this stuff, however, is from a standard physics text that handles electricity and magnetism (eg: Resnick & Halliday)

Superweirdo,

Did you know that magnetism is a 100% relativistic effect? That was the most interesting thing I learned about it.

1. What are magnetic poles?

Magnetic poles are the two points on a magnet where the magnetic force is the strongest. They are commonly referred to as the north and south poles.

2. What is repulsion in terms of magnetic poles?

Repulsion is the force between two magnetic poles that are the same (both north or both south). It causes the poles to push away from each other.

3. What is attraction in terms of magnetic poles?

Attraction is the force between two magnetic poles that are different (one north and one south). It causes the poles to pull towards each other.

4. How do magnetic poles affect each other?

Magnetic poles affect each other through the force of attraction or repulsion. This can cause the poles to either attract and stick together, or repel and push away from each other.

5. How are magnetic poles used in everyday life?

Magnetic poles are used in many everyday objects, such as magnets, compasses, and speakers. They are also used in various types of machinery and technology, including electric motors and generators.