Finding anything smaller than quarks or what quarks are made of?

• Thread starter fedorfan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quarks
In summary, at the present time, quarks and leptons are considered the smallest particles in the Standard Model. While quarks are considered fundamental, leptons such as electrons and neutrinos also make up the smaller particles. It is not possible to determine which of these particles is the "smallest" in terms of spatial size. However, in terms of mass, neutrinos are the smallest followed by electrons, muons, and taus. There is also no experimental evidence to support the existence of preons, which are hypothetical particles smaller than quarks and leptons. Finally, microtalentons, which are smaller than neutrinos, do not actually
fedorfan
Are we even near finding anything smaller than quarks or what quarks are made of?

Physics news on Phys.org
At the present time quarks are considered "fundamental", ie. the smallest quarks (up and down) don't decay into anything else, although they do transform into each other.

Smaller than quarks are various leptons, such as electrons and neutrinoes.

Whats the smallest out of those(leptons, neutrinoes, and electrons)? Or are they too small to compare?

In terms of spatial size, the quarks and leptons are all considered to be pointlike particles in the Standard Model, so one can't say that any of them is the "smallest."

In terms of mass, the neutrinos are the "smallest" of the leptons, followed in order by electrons, muons and taus.

I know there's something that is smallest because it would eventually be nothing if there wasnt a limit. Unless negative mass is what I think it is, then there would be no limit to how small something could get. Is negative mass what I am thinking it is? Please explain negative mass.

Last edited:
I thought negative mass actually meant like twice as small than positive mass, sorry yall. So neutrinoes, quarks, and the like are the smallest, thanks yall.

I just read that preons are sub quark particles. Is this true, are preons smaller than quarks?

Preons are hypothetical particles which would be constituents of quarks and leptons. However there is no experimental evidence to support the theory. You can get a detailed history of the this theory from wikipedia.

I just read that microtalentons are smaller than neutrinoes, is this true? What the heck are microtalentons?

fedorfan said:
I just read that microtalentons are smaller than neutrinoes, is this true? What the heck are microtalentons?

Ha ha ha, you made me look.

Carl

1. What is a quark?

A quark is a subatomic particle that is considered to be one of the fundamental building blocks of matter. It is one of the smallest known particles and is believed to make up the protons and neutrons in an atom.

2. Can anything be smaller than a quark?

At this point in time, it is believed that quarks are the smallest particles in existence. However, there are ongoing experiments and theories in particle physics that suggest the existence of even smaller particles, such as preons.

3. How are quarks studied and observed?

Quarks are studied and observed through the use of powerful particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider at CERN. Scientists also use mathematical models and theories to understand the behavior of quarks.

4. What are quarks made of?

It is currently believed that quarks are not made up of any smaller subatomic particles. They are considered to be elementary particles, meaning they are not composed of any smaller particles.

5. Are there different types of quarks?

Yes, there are currently six known types of quarks: up, down, charm, strange, top, and bottom. These types are distinguished by their mass and charge, and they play a crucial role in the formation of different types of matter.