Does string theory/M theory have an explanation for

In summary, the conversation delves into the topics of the speed of light, energy, string theory, and the possibility of using it to explain philosophical and supernatural phenomena. The concept of a base frequency in the universe is also mentioned. The conversation ends with a request for recommendations for further discussion.
syntacticus
If there is an explanation, I would appreciate undersanding them

1. The speed of light being (approx) 300,000 kms/sec rather than some other value?

2. That the speed of light is the same no matter what frame of reference (as per Einstein's theories and I assume it must have)

3. What is energy (as opposed to what are it properties)

4. Since strings "vibrate", is there a base frequency to the universe that all others are made from. And branching into philosophy, is this why people like music?

5. And another philosophical or speculative question, can string theory/m theory start to explain our soul, what it is and other supernatural phenomena?

Also if there is someone beyond this forum that may be interested in these questions could you let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
syntacticus said:
4. Since strings "vibrate", is there a base frequency to the universe that all others are made from. And branching into philosophy, is this why people like music?
Branching? No part of the post is about physics. But I have liked this question, because I had never thought of the inverse of Planck time as being a "base frequency" of about 10^ 44 Hertz. It is about, er, fairly more than one hundred octaves up from the piano keyboard, ie you would need a piano with more than a thousand of keys in order to play it up to this frequency.

It remembers me of a gear trick I saw in a Xmas lecture at London time ago, to explain how orders of magnitude concatenate. The idea was each time you couple a 1:100 reduction gear, you get up two orders of magnitude. So you couple 22 of them and if you turn the first one at a speed of a rotation per second, the last one in the gearing should give a rotation per Planck time.

Last edited:

I am not an expert in string theory/M theory, so I cannot provide a definitive answer to these questions. However, I can provide some insights based on my understanding of these theories.

1. The speed of light is a fundamental constant in the universe, and it is a key component of Einstein's theory of relativity. In string theory/M theory, the speed of light is related to the vibrational frequency of strings, which is why it is constant and cannot have any other value.

2. The concept of the speed of light being constant in all frames of reference is a fundamental principle in Einstein's theory of relativity. In string theory/M theory, this is explained by the fact that strings vibrate at a fixed speed, which is the speed of light.

3. In string theory/M theory, energy is a property of strings and is related to their vibrational modes. The different vibrational modes of strings correspond to different particles and their energies.

4. String theory/M theory does propose the existence of a base frequency of the universe, which is the fundamental frequency at which strings vibrate. This frequency is incredibly high and cannot be directly observed. As for the connection to music, it is a philosophical question and not directly related to string theory/M theory.

5. String theory/M theory is a scientific theory that aims to explain the fundamental forces and particles in the universe. It is not designed to explain supernatural phenomena or concepts such as the soul. These are philosophical and spiritual questions that are beyond the scope of science.

In terms of connecting with someone who may be interested in these questions, I suggest reaching out to experts in string theory/M theory or joining online forums and discussions on this topic. It is also important to keep in mind that these theories are still being researched and developed, so there may not be definitive answers to all of these questions at this time.

1. Does string theory/M theory have an explanation for the existence of multiple dimensions?

Yes, string theory/M theory proposes the existence of at least 10 dimensions in our universe. These dimensions are necessary for the equations of the theory to work and provide a framework for understanding the fundamental particles and forces in our universe.

2. Can string theory/M theory explain the origin of the universe?

While string theory/M theory does not provide a complete explanation for the origin of the universe, it does offer insights into the earliest moments of the universe's creation. The theory suggests that the universe began as a tiny, compacted ball of energy and matter, and has been expanding and evolving ever since.

3. Is it possible to test the predictions of string theory/M theory?

Currently, there is no experimental evidence to support the predictions of string theory/M theory. However, scientists are working on developing new technologies and experiments that could potentially test some of the theory's predictions.

4. How does string theory/M theory relate to other theories of physics, such as general relativity and quantum mechanics?

String theory/M theory is often seen as a potential "theory of everything" that could unify the currently accepted theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It offers a way to reconcile the two theories and provide a more complete understanding of the universe.

5. Can string theory/M theory explain the concept of time?

String theory/M theory does not provide a definitive explanation for the concept of time, but it does offer insights into how time may operate in a higher-dimensional universe. Some versions of the theory suggest that time may be an emergent property of the universe and is not fundamental.