Proving Double Dual Isomorphism: A Proof for T'' = T

In summary, the transpose of a linear map is the map that takes the original map and flips it over, and the double transpose is the map that takes the original map and squares it.
wurth_skidder_23
I am trying to prove that T'' = T (where T'' is the double transpose of T) by showing that the the dual of the dual of a linear finite vector space is isomorphic to the original vector space.

i.e., T: X --> U (A linear mapping)
The transpose of T is defined as the following:
T': U' --> X' (Here U' is the dual of U and X' is the dual of X)
And the double transpose of T is defined as:
T'': X'' --> U'' (Here X'' is the dual of the dual of X and U'' is the dual of the dual of U)
And since X'' is isomorphic to X and U'' is isomorphic to U, (This is the part I still need to prove)
T'' = T

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hold on there. I got confused because you're using * to mean transpose when * means dual, and then you talk about dual spaces... confusing.

Anyway, just use the definition of transpose (which is what, in your course?) and dual.

(Ohj, and the double dual of a (linear) vector space is not isomorphic to the original space, in general, by the way.)

Last edited:
I have edited my original post in hopes it will make things a little clearer.

The editing still omits the crucial information about what *your* definition of the 'transpose/dual' of a linear map is. In my world it is taulogically trivial that the double dual is what you started with. But as you haven't defined the 'transpose/dual' it is impossible to offer advice.

The definition of the dual is the linear space formed by the set of linear functions on a linear space X.

Now, given a linear map X-->Y how do you define the map on the duals Y*--->X*? Do it twice and what do you have?

Alright, thanks. I understand now.

1. What is a double dual isomorphism proof?

A double dual isomorphism proof is a mathematical proof that shows that two structures or systems are isomorphic to each other by using the concept of double dual spaces. This proof is commonly used in the fields of algebra, geometry, and topology to establish a one-to-one correspondence between two structures.

2. How does a double dual isomorphism proof work?

In a double dual isomorphism proof, the first step is to establish that two structures are isomorphic by showing that they have the same number of elements and that their operations and relations are preserved. Then, the proof uses the concept of double dual spaces to establish a one-to-one correspondence between the two structures. This is done by showing that the double dual of one structure is isomorphic to the double dual of the other.

3. What is the significance of a double dual isomorphism proof?

A double dual isomorphism proof is significant because it allows us to establish a one-to-one correspondence between two structures, which means that they are essentially the same from a mathematical standpoint. This proof is often used to simplify complex systems or to show that seemingly different structures are actually equivalent.

4. What are some real-world applications of a double dual isomorphism proof?

Double dual isomorphism proofs have a wide range of applications in various fields of mathematics and science. Some common applications include cryptography, image processing, signal processing, and data compression. They are also used in computer science to optimize algorithms and data structures.

5. Are there any limitations to using a double dual isomorphism proof?

Like any mathematical proof, a double dual isomorphism proof requires rigorous and accurate reasoning. It may not always be applicable to all types of structures or systems, and in some cases, alternative methods of proof may be more suitable. Additionally, this proof may not always provide a complete understanding of the underlying structure, and further analysis may be needed to fully comprehend the system.