Understanding Cross Products and Angular Momentum in Vector Calculus

In summary, the person does not understand how to use cross products. They are lost when trying to understand what the cross product is supposed to represent.
Tomsk
I hope this is the right forum, this is mostly about maths, I'm not looking for a physical interpretation of angular momentum... yet. It also involves *some* calc... anyway...

OK, firstly, I've come to the conclusion I don't get cross products. I understand the properties of them, and can use them OK, there's just something I came across that I don't get. Say you have [itex]\vec{a}\times\vec{b}=\vec{c}[/itex]. Apparently, the magnitude of c is given by the area of the parallelogram formed by a and b. I'm ok with the product axb having units of area, but when you then go and say c has a length that is an area... I get a bit lost. How am I supposed to interpret that?

Actually, scrap the second part, I'm an idiot!

Oh, and my lecturer always seemed to swap between J and L, both apparently for angular momentum. They mean the same thing, right? Or have I completely not understood anything??:cry:

I'll be back. I hate angular momentum.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This kinda looks pointless now, I should always think through a problem thoroughly before looking for help on here! I still don't get the first bit about cross products though.

J is the 'total' angular momentum, which is a coupling of the orbital angular momentum and the spin angular momentum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_momentum_coupling#LS_coupling

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/qangm.html
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/vecmod.html

As for the cross product -

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vvec.html

If vrectors a,b had dimensions of length, then in a x b = c, c would have magnitude of area, and vector would be parallel to the normal of the area.

When we do v x B for the Lorentz force, the resulting vector has units of T-m/s, which have to be equivalent to N/C, since F = q(v x B).

See also - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_product#Geometric_meaning

Last edited:
Think about what quantities angular momentum contains, i.e., what information is the angular momentum vector composed of; the scalar quantity - mass, the vector quantities - velocity and position. Isn't it a intuitive need to know what mass a particle has, where it is located, and what it's velocity is?

Regarding the area/length affare - I wouldn't loose my head thinking about that too much if I were you. The vector c = a x b can have any physical meaning, so it's dimension can be length, velocity, acceleration, force, etc. It's absolute value always equals the area of the a x b paralelogram, but that doesn't mean the dimensions equal, too.

Thanks guys. I've not done any QM yet, maybe my lecturer was crossing between J and L subconciously. I think I see the connection, sort of! I can accept the thing about the magnitude of the cross product too, it kinda caught me off guard! Thanks again. :D

1. What are vectors and how are they related to angular momentum?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. Angular momentum is a vector quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object. The direction of the angular momentum vector is perpendicular to the plane of rotation and its magnitude is equal to the product of the moment of inertia and angular velocity of the object.

2. How is the direction of angular momentum determined?

The direction of the angular momentum vector is determined by the right-hand rule. If you curl the fingers of your right hand in the direction of rotation, your thumb will point in the direction of the angular momentum vector.

3. What is the difference between linear momentum and angular momentum?

Linear momentum is a vector quantity that describes the motion of an object in a straight line, while angular momentum is a vector quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object around a fixed axis. Linear momentum is conserved in all inertial reference frames, while angular momentum is only conserved in a closed system with no external torques acting on it.

4. What is the role of vectors in understanding conservation of angular momentum?

Vectors play a crucial role in understanding conservation of angular momentum as they help us determine the direction and magnitude of angular momentum in a given system. By analyzing the changes in the angular momentum vectors of different objects in a system, we can determine whether or not the total angular momentum of the system is conserved.

5. How is angular momentum used in practical applications?

Angular momentum is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the design and operation of spinning objects like gyroscopes, flywheels, and propellers. It is also used in understanding the motion of planets and other celestial bodies, and in the study of quantum mechanics. In technology, it is used in the development of sensors and control systems for various devices and machines.