Proving/disproving n^2-n+11 is prime, i think i got it

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prime
In summary, the conversation is about proving that n^2-n+11 is not always a prime number. The participants discuss various methods and examples, with one person eventually realizing that the statement can be disproved by choosing n=11, which results in 121, a non-prime number.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone!

I think i got this but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this. The question is:

For all integers n, n^2-n+11 is a prime number. Well if that was a prime number it should be true that n^2-n+11 = (r)(s) then r = 1 or s = 1. But if you equate n^2-n+11 = 1, you get a false statement. n^2-n + 12 = 0, and if u plugged say 0 in for n, u get 12 = 0, 12 is not prime...but 12 = 0, doesn't make sense. Am i on the right track or totally doing the wrong test? I'm confused if I'm suppose to set n^2-n+11 to somthing, it won't facotr unless i do a quadtratic but I'm not sure what that would even show me.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
you don't need to solve a polynomial. Giving any counterexample is enough to prove the statement false. This example is very specific, but it's easy to generalize this to n^2 - n + p, where p is any integer

I can't seem to find a number that will make it not prime! I've tried a bunch of random ones but they are turn out to be prime, can anyone clarify that is infact false and can be proved with a counter example?

Can you see a choice of n that will let you factor something out of n^2-n+11? If not, be systematic n=1, 2, 3, 4, ...

Thanks shmoe! i got it, n = 11, u will get 121 which is not prime! wee thanks!

1. Is there a specific method for proving or disproving that n^2-n+11 is prime?

Yes, there are several methods for proving or disproving the primality of a number. Some common methods include trial division, sieving, and using primality testing algorithms.

2. Can you explain the formula n^2-n+11 and why it is being used in this context?

The formula n^2-n+11 is a quadratic polynomial that is commonly used in number theory. It is being used in this context because it is related to the expression n^2-n+1, which can be factored into (n-1)(n+1). This allows us to manipulate the expression and potentially determine if it is prime or not.

3. What is the significance of proving or disproving n^2-n+11 is prime?

If n^2-n+11 is proven to be prime, it would be a significant mathematical discovery. This formula is known as a quadratic prime, and there are only a finite number of quadratic primes that have been discovered. Proving or disproving its primality could potentially lead to further insights in number theory.

4. What is the current status of proving or disproving n^2-n+11 is prime?

As of now, it is still an open problem in mathematics. There have been various attempts to prove or disprove its primality, but it remains unsolved. Some mathematicians have conjectured that it is likely to be a prime number, but there is no definitive proof yet.

5. How can I verify if a specific value of n satisfies the equation n^2-n+11?

You can simply plug in the value of n into the equation and see if it satisfies the equality. For example, if n=5, then n^2-n+11 would equal 29, which is a prime number. However, this does not prove that all values of n will result in a prime number, as there may be exceptions. A more rigorous approach would be to use mathematical techniques to analyze the equation and determine its primality.