Newton's Laws of Motion Question

In summary, the conversation involves someone seeking help in solving a problem involving a race car with a weight of 8820 N and a parachute opening at the end of a quarter-mile run. The person shares their attempt at solving the problem using the equation Vsquared=Vosquared + 2ad, but realizes they made a mistake by forgetting the negative sign. They express their appreciation for the assistance.
Lelex
okay, so I've tried this problem and I keep getting it wrong. I would really appreciate some help in solving it. Here is the question:

The parachute on a race car of weight 8820 N opens at the end of a quarter-mile run when the car is traveling at 35 m/s. What total retarding force must be supplied by the parachute to stop the car in a distance of 1000m?

I know there is probably some really simple equation to solve it but I just can't seem to get it. What i tried was using the equation Vsquared=Vosquared + 2ad

I got 0=35squared + 2a(1000), a=.6125 and then plugged that into F=ma to get F=900(.6125)=551.25

I am I even on the right track with this? Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine to me.

Thanks for looking. I found out the reason I kept getting it wrong was that I forgot the negative sign. It's the silly mistakes that do you in.

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three fundamental principles that describe the behavior of objects in motion. They were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the late 17th century and are the basis for classical mechanics.

2. What is the First Law of Motion?

The First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force.

3. What is the Second Law of Motion?

The Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more massive the object, the less it will accelerate.

4. What is the Third Law of Motion?

The Third Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Action and Reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

5. How are Newton's Laws of Motion applied in everyday life?

Newton's Laws of Motion are applied in a variety of ways in everyday life, from the movement of vehicles to the motion of a ball being thrown. They help us understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion and are essential in fields such as engineering and physics.