Is fission considered capture?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of fission cross-sections in determining the probability of a 1 MeV neutron slowing to thermal in a water/uranium environment. The expert clarifies that fission is considered capture and explains that the fission neutrons cannot be considered a continuation of the impacting neutron due to their high energy.
cooper7d7
I apologize that me first post is such a silly one.

I am trying to solve problem 1.2 in Stacey. It asks for the probability of a 1 MeV neutron slowing to thermal. I can determine the number of collisions required in the water / uranium environment. But, when I go to select the proper crosssections, I think I should just use scattering but I was wondering if fission is considered capture or noncapture?

Thanks, I really enjoy this forum...

-Will

Engineering news on Phys.org
The fission cross-section would be considered capture, e.g. part of the total capture. It represents a loss during the slowing down process, but then it produces 2 or 3 fast neutrons.

Ok

Makes sense, I was just thinking that maybe one of the 2 or 3 that are released was considered the same as the impacting neutron, in which case it was not captured. But fission is treated just like n,gamma.

Thanks,

-Will

cooper7d7 said:
Makes sense, I was just thinking that maybe one of the 2 or 3 that are released was considered the same as the impacting neutron, in which case it was not captured..
Will,

You really can't do what you suggest of considering one of the fission neutrons as to
be the same as the impacting neutron.

Label all your neutrons with their energies. Now consider a case of "thermal fission";
that is a low energy or "thermal neutron" causes a fission; which in a thermal reactor
is the most common type of fission.

So the impacting neutron has low energy, while the 2-3 fission neutrons have high
energy. Because of the energy difference between the impacting neutron [ low energy ]
and the fission neutrons [ high energy ], you can't consider ANY of the fission
neutrons to be a "continuation" of the impacting neutron.

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

1. Is fission considered capture?

Yes, fission is considered one of the types of capture reactions in nuclear physics. It involves the splitting of a heavy nucleus into two or more lighter nuclei, along with the release of energy.

2. How does fission differ from fusion?

Fission and fusion are two types of nuclear reactions that involve the release of energy. Fission involves the splitting of a heavy nucleus into smaller nuclei, while fusion involves the combining of two or more lighter nuclei to form a heavier nucleus.

3. What are the different types of fission?

There are two main types of fission: spontaneous fission and induced fission. Spontaneous fission occurs naturally in some heavy elements, while induced fission is triggered by external factors such as a neutron bombardment.

4. What is nuclear chain reaction in relation to fission?

Nuclear chain reaction is a self-sustaining process in which the products of a nuclear reaction (such as fission) can cause additional reactions to occur. In the case of fission, each split of a heavy nucleus releases neutrons that can go on to cause fission in other nuclei, leading to a chain reaction.

5. What are some practical applications of fission?

Fission has many practical applications, including nuclear power generation, nuclear weapons, and medical treatments such as cancer therapy. It is also used in research and scientific experiments to study the properties and behavior of atomic nuclei.