Particle in a Box, normalizing wave function

In summary, the conversation discusses how to normalize the wave function for the first three energy levels of a particle in a one dimensional box. The solution is to solve the Schrödinger equation and use the boundary conditions to find the normalized wave function, which is proportional to sin(nπx/L). The normalization factor is √2/√L.
EbolaPox
Question from textbook (Modern Physics, Thornton and Rex, question 54 Chapter 5):

"Write down the normalized wave functions for the first three energy levels of a particle of mass m in a one dimensional box of width L. Assume there are equal probabilities of being in each state."

I know how to normalize a wave function, I'm just not too sure exactly how I do so for three different energy levels.

My work and ideas:

Previously in the chapter, they stated [tex] \Psi = A sin(kx - \omega t) [/tex]. Next, I saw [tex] E_n = \frac{ \hbar ^2 n^2}{8ml^2} [/tex]. I know for the wave function to be normalized, I need [tex] 1 = \int_{0}^{l} |\psi|^2 dx [/tex], but I'm not too sure how to proceed or really use any of this. Do they want me to somehow algebraically manipulate my kx-wt to get an expression for energy inside? Perhaps I'm just confused as of to what they want me to do. Any hints or pointers in the right direction would be great. Thank you.

What really annoys me is I've done the problems in the next chapter and some problems in Griffiths intro to QM book, but this problem which seems so simple is the only one that has a solution that has evaded me. Thanks again for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you've got it wrong.
What is [tex]\Psi[/tex]? Usually* this is the solution to [tex]\mathcal{H} \Psi = E_n \Psi [/tex]. So it shouldn't be time dependant. For a particle in a box you should solve just note the boundary conditions - zero at the ends of the box, so [tex]\Psi_n \propto \sin \left( \frac{n\pi x }{L} \right)[/tex]
To normalize, you should do what you said that should be done - write [tex]1 = A^2 \int_{0}^{l} |\psi|^2 dx[/tex] where [tex]\psi[/tex]is what we found before, and find A. So [tex]\Psi=A\psi[/tex].
The answer is that the normalization factor is always √2/√L

Sometimes [tex]\Psi[/tex] is said to be the solution to the time dependant Schrödinger Equation, the difference for your problem is just a global phase.

Last edited:
Ah! Thank you very much. That makes sense. I was just wondering if I could write [tex] \Psi [/tex] in that form, but was worried that I had to have a time dependence in there.

1. What is a "Particle in a Box"?

A "Particle in a Box" refers to a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of a particle confined to a specific region or space.

2. What is a normalized wave function?

A normalized wave function is a mathematical expression that describes the probability of finding a particle in a certain position or state. It is normalized when the total probability of finding the particle anywhere in the box is equal to 1.

3. Why is it important to normalize the wave function in a "Particle in a Box" system?

Normalizing the wave function ensures that the total probability of finding the particle within the box is equal to 1, which is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. It also allows for accurate predictions of the particle's behavior and properties.

4. How is the wave function normalized in a "Particle in a Box" system?

The wave function is normalized by dividing it by a normalization constant, which is obtained by integrating the square of the wave function over the entire box. This ensures that the total probability of finding the particle in the box is equal to 1.

5. Can the wave function of a "Particle in a Box" ever be negative?

No, the wave function of a "Particle in a Box" cannot be negative because it represents the probability of finding the particle in a certain position or state, and probabilities cannot be negative. The wave function may have complex values, but its magnitude is always positive.