Search Engine Quality Decreasing - Is Anyone Else Seeing It?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in obtaining good search results on Google recently. While some have noticed a decline in quality, others have had no issues and attribute their success to using specific keywords and search techniques. It is suggested to use quotation marks and boolean operations to refine search results.
Cyrus
Is it just me, or is it really hard to get good results when you google something lately?

It used to be that I would find what I wanted fast, now I search something and I get nothing but garbage.

Anyone else notice this change lately?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not me, but I must say I don't search stuff too often.

Not me, although I do also look elsewhere like dmoz.org.

Getting good results out of a search engine is just a matter of choosing the right terms. I use google all the time and I'm often surprised by how accurate it is. If I have a couple pieces of information vaguely related to some random fact I need to know, google will frequently provide that random fact in the top 10 results.

cyrusabdollahi said:
now I search something and I get nothing but garbage.

Aha, see, all that trash talk is catching up with you! :biggrin:

Choosing your keywords properly is important, but with Google, you can get much more accurate hits by enclosing key phrases or word combinations in quotes. If you're not doing this and you're searching on keywords that are common, you will get a lot of stuff that is unrelated to what you really want.

I've really had no problem with Google lately. However, a few pages in the search hits are completely useless.

You can also use boolean operations. You can also use a minus sign "-" to exclude results.

1. What is causing the decrease in search engine quality?

There are several factors that can contribute to a decrease in search engine quality, such as changes in algorithms, an increase in low-quality content, and the rise of black hat SEO practices.

2. How does a decrease in search engine quality affect users?

A decrease in search engine quality can make it more difficult for users to find relevant and accurate information, leading to frustration and wasted time. It can also impact the trust and credibility of search engines.

3. Are all search engines experiencing a decrease in quality?

While it is difficult to make a generalization about all search engines, it is likely that most are experiencing some degree of decrease in quality due to the constantly evolving nature of the internet and search engine algorithms.

4. Is there anything that can be done to improve search engine quality?

Search engines are constantly working to improve their algorithms and weed out low-quality content. However, users can also help by reporting any spam or irrelevant results they come across and by creating high-quality, relevant content.

5. How can businesses and websites adapt to a decrease in search engine quality?

Businesses and websites can adapt by focusing on creating high-quality, relevant content that follows SEO best practices. They can also diversify their online presence by utilizing multiple search engines and other digital marketing strategies.