What are the applications of Quadrupole Neodymium magnets?

In summary, there are numerous patents for Neo magnets which can be difficult to navigate. Some of these patents specifically limit the use of magnets containing cobalt and/or having a tetragonal crystalline structure. The majority of patents for NdFeB magnets are held by GE and Sumitomo, and it is recommended to check with them for more information. Co doping in the Fe site is a common topic in literature, but there is limited knowledge on patents in this area. The patents for Neomax and Magnequench do require licenses for Neo magnets with cobalt and tetragonal structures. It is unknown if all high energy and high temperature magnets use this technology. The patents for Quadrupole Neodymium are held by an
boeland
There are lots of patents on Neo magnets and they are difficult to sort out. Some of the patents restrict the use of the magnets that contain cobalt and/or have a tetragonal crystalline structure.
Does someone know:

What types of magnets contain cobalt?
What types of magnets have a tetragonal structure?

Physics news on Phys.org
Most NdFeB magnet patents are held by GE and/or Sumitomo. You should check with them.

I expect there's a lot of literature on Co doping in the Fe site (I think it increases Tc and uniaxial anisotropy, up to some optimal doping), but know absolutely nothing about patents here.

The Neomax (Sumitomo) and Magnequench (GM) patents do require licences for Neo magnets that contain cobalt and have tetragonal structures. I am curious if all high energy (>30MOe) and high temperature (>110C) magnets use this type of technology.

Last edited:
Does anyone know who has the patents on Quadrupole Neodymium. I found a video of one on YouTube:

You can find these magnets in particle accelerators, and they have 4 poles (Quadrupole). This one is a permanent magnet, and without the video I couldn't tell the difference between it and an ordinary bar magnet.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a neodymium magnet?

A neodymium magnet is a type of permanent magnet made from an alloy of neodymium, iron, and boron. It is known for its strong magnetic field and is commonly used in a variety of applications, including motors, speakers, and magnetic therapy products.

2. How are neodymium magnets made?

Neodymium magnets are made through a process called sintering, where the raw materials are melted together and then formed into a solid block. The block is then cut into smaller pieces and magnetized to create individual magnets.

3. What makes neodymium magnets so strong?

Neodymium magnets are the strongest type of permanent magnet available, with a magnetic field that is significantly stronger than traditional magnets made from iron or ferrite. This is due to the high concentration of neodymium and the unique crystal structure of the alloy.

4. What are the applications of neodymium magnets?

Neodymium magnets are used in a wide range of applications, including electronics, medical devices, and industrial machinery. They are also commonly used in consumer products such as magnetic closures on purses and jewelry clasps.

5. Are neodymium magnets safe to handle?

While neodymium magnets are incredibly strong, they can also be dangerous if not handled properly. They can pinch or crush skin if caught between two magnets, and can also cause damage to electronics, credit cards, and medical devices. It is important to handle neodymium magnets with caution and keep them away from small children.