How Can I Find the Partial Pressure of SO2 in a Gas Mixture?

Yes, that is correct. The mole fraction of a gas in a mixture is equal to its partial pressure divided by the total pressure. So, by knowing the mole fraction, you can easily calculate the partial pressure of a gas in a mixture using Dalton's Law.
physgirl
so there's a mixture of CO2, SO2, and H2O gases in a 21L tank. Pressure inside is 850Torr at 45*C. if SO2 concentration in mixture is 7.95x10^3 ppmv (where ppmv=[V component/V total mixture]x10^6), find its partial pressure.

so i found the volume of SO2 to be 0.16695L using the ppmv (where V total mixture was 21L and V component/SO2 was what I solved for).

but i can't simply use P1V1=P2V2 (where 1=given condition, 2=SO2 conditions) because "n" isn't constant in both cases...

so how can I find the partial pressure of SO2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ignore P1V1=P2V2 because nothing is changing.

You found the volume of SO2. In this instance, it is safe to assume that this is an ideal gas. Do you know how to convert a volume of an ideal gas into moles?

Last edited by a moderator:
would you use the formula for molar concentration, n/V=P/(RT)? since molar concentration is same for all ideal gas under given conditions... so when I try n[SO2]/V[SO2]=n[mixture]/V[mixture]

n[SO2]/0.167=0.9/21
n[SO2)]=0.0072 mol

so... P=nRT/V = 0.0072R(318)/0.167 = 1.1175 atm

but P for the whole mixture is 850torr, which is 1.1184 atm... so it didn't really make sense to me that the partial P of SO2 would be so large...

physgirl said:
would you use the formula for molar concentration, n/V=P/(RT)? since molar concentration is same for all ideal gas under given conditions... so when I try n[SO2]/V[SO2]=n[mixture]/V[mixture]
When you write this, aren't you implicitly assuming P(SO2)=P(mixture)? That's where the error is.

What do you know about Dalton's Law (for partial pressures)?

oh... hm, i see.

well, here's another method i tried although i have no idea if it's correct.

I set up:
P[SO2]V[SO2]/n[SO2]=P[tot]V[tot]/n[tot]
along with: P[SO2] + n[x]P[tot] = P[tot] ----> where x represents CO2+H2O
and also: n[x] + n[SO2] = n[tot]

and hoping my algebra is right, I solved for n[SO2] this way by eliminating other unknown variables... and I got 7.2x10^-4 to be the # of moles for SO2... I plugged this value back in the original equation I set up here, which was: P[SO2]V[SO2]/n[SO2]=P[tot]V[tot]/n[tot]

and then I got the pressure of SO2 to be 0.1126 atm (out of 1.118 atm total)... does that method possibly sound correct assuming my algebra in the middle was right?

No, you can't actually do this:

physgirl said:
P[SO2]V[SO2]/n[SO2]=P[tot]V[tot]/n[tot]
This equation will not work. Remember, the partial pressure is nothing but the mathematical "contribution" to the total pressure from a particular species (in this case, SO2). This does not mean the SO2 molecules feel only this pressure. They will, in fact, feel the same average pressure as all the rest of the molecules - the total pressure P[tot]. So, the only correct way to apply the ideal gas equation would be as:

P[tot]V[SO2]/n[SO2] = P[tot]V[tot]/n[tot], which reduces to n[SO2]/n[tot] = V[SO2]/V[tot]

In other words the mole fraction is equal to the given volume fraction. So, knowing the mole fraction, you can directly apply Dalton's Law to find the partial pressure.

along with: P[SO2] + n[x]P[tot] = P[tot] ----> where x represents CO2+H2O
There's a tiny error here. It should be:
P[SO2] + (n[x]/n[tot])*P[tot] = P[tot]
but you don't need to use this now, since you have the above approach instead.

Ohh, I see, thank you so much!

So whenever a question asks for partial pressure, the only way I can find it really is by using mole fraction multiplied by total pressure?

What is partial pressure of SO2?

Partial pressure of SO2 refers to the pressure exerted by the sulfur dioxide gas in a mixture of gases. It is a measure of the concentration of SO2 in the mixture.

How is partial pressure of SO2 calculated?

Partial pressure of SO2 can be calculated by multiplying the total pressure of the gas mixture by the mole fraction of SO2 in the mixture. The mole fraction can be determined by dividing the number of moles of SO2 by the total number of moles of all the gases in the mixture.

Why is partial pressure of SO2 important?

Partial pressure of SO2 is important in understanding the behavior of gases in a mixture. It can also be used to determine the equilibrium of a reaction involving SO2, as well as the solubility of SO2 in a liquid.

How does temperature affect the partial pressure of SO2?

According to the Ideal Gas Law, the partial pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature. This means that an increase in temperature will result in an increase in the partial pressure of SO2, assuming that the total pressure and mole fraction remain constant.

What are the units of partial pressure of SO2?

The units of partial pressure of SO2 are typically expressed in units of pressure, such as atmospheres (atm), kilopascals (kPa), or millimeters of mercury (mmHg).