Unanswered Questions about Imaginary Tides: Help Needed!

In summary, the person posting did not receive any help with their questions about imaginary tides and will have to attempt the essay questions on their own. However, they express gratitude for the help they have received in the past and mention that their professor will be providing formulae on the board during the test. They also ask for a last-minute answer to a projectile question, to which they receive an explanation about the horizontal and vertical components of velocity. The original poster clarifies their question and the conversation ends with a final summary of the discussion about the projectile's velocity.
holly
No one answered my burning questions about imaginary tides...these tides that have me in a bind, so to speak.

So, *sniff, sniff* I will just blunder through the essay questions as best I can.

Thanking everyone who has helped me all these weeks...I have a test Monday and feel confident because of all the wonderful help from the forums and because the professor suddenly relented and is going to write formulae on the board for us to use.

If anyone has a last-minute answer for this, I'd appreciate it:
Q. A projectile is fired straight upward at 141m/s. How fast is it moving at the very top of its trajectory? Suppose that instead it were fired upward at 45 degrees? What would be its speed at the top of the trajectory then?
A. I have it going 0 m/s at the very top of any trajectory. We ignore air resistance in our class.

Thx again y vaya con Dios, amigos y amigas. Bueno!

Physics news on Phys.org
The projectile has zero vertical velocity at the top of its trajectory, because gravity acts on it vertically to slow it down. The projectile's horizontal motion never changes throughout the entire trajectory, though. If the projectile starts with some horizontal velocity, it will have that same horizontal velocity at all times, including at the top of its trajectory.

What is the horizontal component of velocity for a projectile fired at 141 m/s at an angle of 45 degrees?

- Warren

So, the horizontal velocity at the top of the trajectory is 141m/s?

No. If the projectile is fired at 45 degrees, some of its velocity is vertical, and some of it -- not all of it -- is horizontal.

- Warren

Originally posted by holly
No one answered my burning questions about imaginary tides...these tides that have me in a bind, so to speak.
What imaginary tides? Are you talking about the ones in the lakes?

1. What are imaginary tides?

Imaginary tides refer to a hypothetical phenomenon in which tidal forces are generated by a celestial body that does not actually exist. This concept is often used in thought experiments and theoretical models in astronomy and physics.

2. How are imaginary tides different from regular tides?

Regular tides are caused by the gravitational pull of the moon and sun on the Earth's oceans. Imaginary tides, on the other hand, are not caused by any physical object but are instead a theoretical construct to help explain certain phenomena.

3. What are some examples of imaginary tides in scientific research?

One example of imaginary tides is the Roche limit, which is the distance at which a celestial body will break apart due to tidal forces. Another example is the concept of a "tidal force" in general relativity, which describes how gravity affects the shape of space-time.

4. Why do we use imaginary tides in scientific studies?

Imaginary tides are used in scientific studies because they can help us understand complex systems and phenomena that are difficult to observe directly. By using theoretical models and thought experiments, scientists can make predictions and test hypotheses about the behavior of these systems.

5. Are there any unanswered questions about imaginary tides?

Yes, there are still many unanswered questions about imaginary tides. Some scientists are still trying to understand how and why these theoretical constructs can accurately describe physical phenomena. Additionally, there may be other applications of imaginary tides that have yet to be discovered.