Multichannel Square Tube Hydraulic Diameter

In summary, the person is new to the forum and has read a thread about water flow in a rectangular tube. They have a question about finding the hydraulic diameter for the whole tube, which has 6 inner channels and 1 larger channel. They are considering adding the hydraulic diameters for each inner tube or neglecting the inner walls, but have been advised to treat all seven diameters as independent flow paths. They thank the person for their input.
chupacabras
Hello, I am new to this forum.

I read the thread about the water flow in a rectangular tube because I wanted to correlate what was being said into my own problem.

My question I believe is very simple:

I have a rectangular tube that has inner dividers, let's say that my tube has 6 channels inside that are 7.15mm L X 3.54mm W, plus a 7th channel 7.15mm L X 5mm W.

Lets's say also that if I neglect the inner walls, the result is a bigger rectangle, roughly 29.3mm L x 7.15mm W.

I need to come up with the Hydraulic Diameter for the whole tube.

What is the approach I should take:

a) should I add the seven Hydraulic Diameters for each inner tube?

b) should I neglect the inner walls and calculate for the whole tube?

When I add up each channel's HDs, the results is 3 times higher than when I calculate for the whole tube, neglecting the inner walls.

I would really like your input on this subject, and I am sorry if this is so simple I had overlooked the answer.

Thanks,

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi chup
a) should I add the seven Hydraulic Diameters for each inner tube?
That won't work, you'll get an enormous equivalent pipe diameter.

b) should I neglect the inner walls and calculate for the whole tube?
That won't work either. The inner walls create frictional pressure drop that you'd be neglecting.

The only way I know of to do this is to treat all seven diameters as independant flow paths.

Q_Goest: Thank you, that seems to be the most logical approach.

1. What is the definition of Multichannel Square Tube Hydraulic Diameter?

Multichannel Square Tube Hydraulic Diameter is a measure of the effective cross-sectional area for fluid flow in a square tube with multiple smaller channels or passages within it.

2. How is Multichannel Square Tube Hydraulic Diameter calculated?

Multichannel Square Tube Hydraulic Diameter is typically calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the individual channel cross-sectional areas squared.

3. What factors affect Multichannel Square Tube Hydraulic Diameter?

The number and size of the channels within the square tube, as well as the overall dimensions of the square tube, can affect the Multichannel Square Tube Hydraulic Diameter. Additionally, the fluid properties and flow rate can also impact this value.

4. Why is Multichannel Square Tube Hydraulic Diameter important in fluid dynamics?

Multichannel Square Tube Hydraulic Diameter is an important parameter in fluid dynamics because it is used to calculate the Reynolds number, which is a dimensionless quantity that determines the type of flow (laminar or turbulent) in the square tube. It also helps in predicting pressure drop and flow rates in the system.

5. How does Multichannel Square Tube Hydraulic Diameter compare to other hydraulic diameter measurements?

Multichannel Square Tube Hydraulic Diameter is unique in that it takes into account the multiple smaller channels within the square tube, whereas traditional hydraulic diameter measurements only consider a single channel. This makes it a more accurate representation of the actual fluid flow in multichannel square tube systems.