How can we determine lagrangian density?

In summary, the Lagrangian density is the Lagrangian per unit volume and is used to describe the dynamics of fields or continuous media. For particles, we can still consider them as having a volume and their Lagrangian density would be the Lagrangian divided by their volume. This concept can also be applied to spin-0 and spin-1/2 systems by finding suitable scalars from the required transformation laws. The Lagrangian density can also be used to describe the interaction between different fields, such as the electromagnetic field and the electron field.
feynman60
we know the lagrangian l=ke-pe right
in case of fields is called "lagrangian density"
let particle with mass "m" and position "x"
it kientic energy= 1/2(mv^2)
so lagrangian =1/2(mv^2)-v(x) , v(x)=potential energy
in case the field lagrangian density
how can i determine the lagragian density?
for klein gordon eq
dirac eq and any field
please anyone help

Physics news on Phys.org

feynman60 said:
we know the lagrangian l=ke-pe right
in case of fields is called "lagrangian density"
let particle with mass "m" and position "x"
it kientic energy= 1/2(mv^2)
so lagrangian =1/2(mv^2)-v(x) , v(x)=potential energy
in case the field lagrangian density
how can i determine the lagragian density?
for klein gordon eq
dirac eq and any field
please anyone help

note: I am not sure about my answer.
I think that if you have the Klein Gordon eq then you can find the lagrangian density by bulding lagrangian which the El eq for this lagrangian is exactly the Klein Gordon eq.
In the same way you can do for dirac eq

Last edited:
The Lagrangian density is the Lagrangian per unit volume.

As for spin-0 and spin-1/2 systems you need to first determine the object that satisfies the required transformation laws (e.g. spinor, wavefunction etc.) and then try and find suitable scalars that you can build out of these quantities.

This Wikipedia article presents some Lagrangians for the electromagnetic field, the electron field and the interaction between the two.

It’s also my question。
It seems only for fields or continuous media we can talk about lagrangian density. for a particle it somewhat hard to do this.

but still, we can treat a particle as something with a considerable volume, and its lagrangian density is nothing but L/v,with L=lagrangian,v is it volume. and so lagrangian density in the "particle" keep unchanged.

it was only my opinion

1. What is a Lagrangian density?

A Lagrangian density is a mathematical function used in the study of classical mechanics and field theory. It describes the dynamics of a system in terms of its position and velocity at a given point in time.

2. How is Lagrangian density different from Lagrangian mechanics?

Lagrangian density is a generalization of Lagrangian mechanics, which only applies to point particles. Lagrangian density can be used to describe the dynamics of continuous systems, such as fields and fluids.

3. How can we determine the Lagrangian density for a specific system?

The Lagrangian density for a system can be determined by considering the kinetic and potential energy of the system and writing them in terms of the system's coordinates and velocities. The Lagrangian density is then the difference between these two energies.

4. What is the role of Lagrangian density in field theory?

In field theory, the Lagrangian density is used to describe the dynamics of fields, such as the electromagnetic field. By varying the Lagrangian density with respect to the fields, we can derive the equations of motion for the fields.

5. Can Lagrangian density be applied to quantum systems?

Yes, the principles of Lagrangian density can be applied to quantum systems as well. In quantum field theory, the Lagrangian density is used to describe the dynamics of fields in the quantum realm, taking into account quantum mechanical effects such as particle creation and annihilation.