Simple Initial Velocity Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the takeoff speed of an Olympic long jumper. The individual describes their method of cutting the distance in half to create a triangle and using the formula for time of flight to solve for the initial velocity. However, they encounter an error and ask for help from others. The reply suggests using projectile motion equations to accurately calculate the takeoff speed.
derekfuselier
An Olympic long jumper leaves the ground at an angle of 18.3 ° and travels through the air for a horizontal distance of 8.86 m before landing. What is the takeoff speed of the jumper?

I'm completely dumbfounded on this one. What I have done is cut the distance in half to create a triangle and then solve all sides in order to find the y. Once I have the way I use the formula ( t = sq rt of 2y/g ) to get the time for the object to fall half way. I multiplied by two to get total time of flight (or what I thought was total time of flight.) Once I have the alleged total time of flight I divide 8.86 by it, giving me the velocity in the x direction. Using cos(18.3) = 8.09 m/s divided by the hypotenuse, or the initial velocity. Solving for the initial velocity left me with 8.52 m/s, which is wrong.

Can anyone offer any help? I can scan my work if needed, I know it's hard to read and think about math like this. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
derekfuselier said:
An Olympic long jumper leaves the ground at an angle of 18.3 ° and travels through the air for a horizontal distance of 8.86 m before landing. What is the takeoff speed of the jumper?

I'm completely dumbfounded on this one. What I have done is cut the distance in half to create a triangle and then solve all sides in order to find the y. Once I have the way I use the formula ( t = sq rt of 2y/g ) to get the time for the object to fall half way. I multiplied by two to get total time of flight (or what I thought was total time of flight.) Once I have the alleged total time of flight I divide 8.86 by it, giving me the velocity in the x direction. Using cos(18.3) = 8.09 m/s divided by the hypotenuse, or the initial velocity. Solving for the initial velocity left me with 8.52 m/s, which is wrong.

Can anyone offer any help? I can scan my work if needed, I know it's hard to read and think about math like this. Thanks in advance!
Your error is in assuming that the jumper moves in a staight diagonal line to a max height at the apex of the triangle you have described. Since gravity is always acting downward and causing the jumper to continually 'fall' as he jumps, his motion will be parabolic in accordance with projectile motion equations of motion. You should look first in the vertical direction using the appropriate kinematic equation that relates vertical distance with initial vertical speed and time, noting that y = 0 as the jumper hits the ground. Then your second equation comes from looking in the horizontal direction as you have noted. You get 2 equations with 2 unknowns, which can be solved with a bit of trig manipulation. I suggest you do a google search on "projectile range equation" to see an example of a similar problem.

I can offer some advice to help you solve this problem. First, let's define some key concepts and equations that will be useful in solving this problem.

1. Initial Velocity: This is the velocity with which the jumper leaves the ground. It is the starting point for our calculations.

2. Angle: The angle of 18.3° is the angle at which the jumper leaves the ground. This will be important in determining the horizontal and vertical components of the initial velocity.

3. Horizontal and Vertical Components: The initial velocity can be broken down into its horizontal and vertical components using trigonometric functions. The horizontal component is given by Vx = V cosθ, where V is the initial velocity and θ is the angle of takeoff. The vertical component is given by Vy = V sinθ.

4. Time of Flight: This is the total amount of time the jumper spends in the air. It can be calculated using the equation t = 2Vy/g, where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

Now, let's apply these concepts to solve the problem. We know that the horizontal distance traveled by the jumper is 8.86 m. Using the horizontal component equation, we can write:

Vx = 8.86 m

Next, we need to find the vertical component of the initial velocity. Using the vertical component equation, we can write:

Vy = V sinθ

Since we know the angle of takeoff (18.3°), we can plug in this value and solve for Vy:

Vy = V sin18.3°

Now, we can use the equation for time of flight to find the total time the jumper spent in the air:

t = 2Vy/g

Plugging in the value for Vy that we just calculated, we get:

t = 2(V sin18.3°)/9.8

We can now solve for V, the initial velocity:

V = (9.8t)/(2 sin18.3°)

Substituting the value for t that we calculated earlier, we get:

V = (9.8(8.86/2))/(2 sin18.3°)

Simplifying, we get:

V = 8.52 m/s

This is the same answer that you got, so it appears that your calculations were correct. However, it's possible that there was a mistake in one of your

What is a simple initial velocity problem?

A simple initial velocity problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the initial velocity of an object in motion. It typically involves using the basic equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

What are some common examples of simple initial velocity problems?

Some common examples of simple initial velocity problems include calculating the initial velocity of a ball thrown into the air, a car starting from rest and accelerating to a certain speed, and a rocket launching into space.

What information is needed to solve a simple initial velocity problem?

To solve a simple initial velocity problem, you will need to know the final velocity, the acceleration, and the time. You may also need to know the displacement or distance traveled by the object.

How do you solve a simple initial velocity problem?

To solve a simple initial velocity problem, you can use the equation v = u + at. First, plug in the known values for acceleration and time. Then, rearrange the equation to solve for the initial velocity, u. Finally, plug in the remaining values to calculate the initial velocity.

What are some tips for solving simple initial velocity problems?

Some tips for solving simple initial velocity problems include carefully reading the problem to identify the known values, being consistent with units of measurement, and double-checking your calculations. It can also be helpful to draw a diagram or use a table to organize the information given in the problem.