Access to astronomy journal articles

In summary, the conversation is about finding a free database with full text journal articles. The person is frustrated with having to pay for access to scientific articles and mentions being told of important articles they are unable to access. The suggestion is made to try the physics arXiv, where both the abstract and full article can be downloaded for free. The speaker also notes that these papers may not be refereed unless they have a journal reference.
big man
Hey guys,

Do any of you know a free database with a wide variety of journal articles that I can search? I want the full text articles, but most databases search abstracts and then give you a link to a site where you have to pay for the full text version.

I mean I am told of these "must-read" astronomy journal articles and can never bloody access them. I guess you can't get everything for free, but I don't understand why you'd have to pay for scientific journal articles.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Try the physics arXiv.

You can download the abstract and the full article for free.

Remember these papers are endorsed but not refereed unless they also have a journal reference.

Garth

Hello,

There are a few options for accessing astronomy journal articles for free. One option is to use the website arXiv.org, which is a pre-print server for scientific articles. Another option is to check if your local library has a subscription to any astronomy journals, which would allow you to access the articles for free. You can also try reaching out to the authors of the articles you are interested in and asking if they can provide you with a copy. Additionally, some journals have open access options where authors can make their articles freely available. I agree that it can be frustrating to not have easy access to these articles, but unfortunately, publishing and maintaining scientific journals is a costly process, which is why many require payment for access. I hope these suggestions help in your search for astronomy articles.

1. What is the best way to access astronomy journal articles?

The best way to access astronomy journal articles is through an online database or library that specializes in scientific publications. These databases often have a wide range of articles from various journals and can be easily accessed from anywhere with an internet connection.

2. Do I need a subscription to access astronomy journal articles?

In most cases, yes. Many astronomy journals require a subscription or membership to access their articles. However, there are some open access journals that do not require a subscription and can be accessed for free.

3. Can I access astronomy journal articles for free?

As mentioned before, there are some open access journals that do not require a subscription and can be accessed for free. Additionally, some universities and research institutions may have subscriptions to certain journals, allowing their members to access articles for free.

4. How can I get access to articles from a specific astronomy journal?

If you are looking for articles from a specific astronomy journal, the best way to access them is through the journal's website. Many journals offer individual subscriptions or pay-per-view options for non-subscribers.

5. Is there a limit to how many astronomy journal articles I can access?

This depends on the specific database or library you are using. Some may have a limit on how many articles you can access per day or per month, while others may have no limit at all. It is important to familiarize yourself with the terms and conditions of the database or library you are using to avoid any restrictions.