Quantum Physics Intro - Books for Beginners

• Thread starter bexalo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an individual's interest in learning about quantum physics and asks for recommendations on introductory books. Suggestions are made for a casual pop-sci read, such as Richard Feynman's "QED - The Strange Theory of Light and Matter," as well as for a mathematical introduction, such as I.M. Rae's "Quantum Physics."
bexalo
hi. i was recently watching some discovery- or some kind of informative pbs-type show and was introduced to some basic quantum physics "stuff" and am really interested in learning more... and was wondering is anyone could recommend any good books for an introductory look at it? i'd really appreciate it.
:wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of introduction? Do you know any physics?

If interested in a casual pop-sci read then I recommend Richard Feynman - QED - The Strange Theory of Light and Matter. Its very good.

thankyou

yeah i guess i would be looking for a "casual pop read"... thank you, ill definitely check that book out!

"Seven Ideas that Shook the Universe" and "Physics for Poets" have waffly chapters on quantum physics that are fairly decent light reading, but I wouldn't recommend buying; just check them out if you can find them.

For a mathematical introduction, Quantum Physics by I.M. Rae is the intro book we used, and it's quite pick-up-able, probably not too pricey to buy if you're really interested in the mathematics.

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It explains how particles such as atoms and photons behave and interact with each other.

2. Why is quantum physics important?

Quantum physics is important because it helps us understand the fundamental workings of the universe at a microscopic level. It has also led to technological advancements such as transistors, lasers, and nuclear energy.

3. What are some key concepts in quantum physics?

Some key concepts in quantum physics include superposition, which states that particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously, and entanglement, which describes how particles can be connected and influence each other even at a distance.

4. Are there any beginner-friendly books about quantum physics?

Yes, there are many books available for beginners that introduce the concepts of quantum physics in an accessible way. Some popular options include "Quantum Physics for Beginners" by Jim Al-Khalili and "Introducing Quantum Theory" by J.P. McEvoy and Oscar Zarate.

5. Do I need a background in math to understand quantum physics?

While a basic understanding of math is helpful, it is not necessary to understand quantum physics. Many beginner books on the subject use analogies and illustrations to explain the concepts without relying heavily on complex mathematical equations.