Modeling Angled Slide Flight with SUVAT Equations

In summary, the author is trying to model the motion of an object released from an angled slide. The slide's angle is adjusted, and the author cannot seem to come up with a simple formula. A quick diagram is provided to help with the problem.
Skyrunner
For my mechanics, I am trying to model the flight of an objected released from an angled slide, which slides (not rolls) down a distance L (constant), launches at a hight h (constant) above ground and travels a distance X, until it hits the ground. The slide's angle A is adjusted.

My problem is I cannot seem to come up woith a simple formula, the only way I find to solve this using SUVAT equationsd as i have been told to ,ends up in a hefty quadratic equation, and several people have noted that there are simpler ways to model this? Any links to sites containing similar problems, or Ideas on how to approach this, and what equations to use would be greatly appriciated!

http://www.skylinecomputers.co.uk/misc/Slide.JPG

A quick diagram I knocked up...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
At the point of exit from the tube the problem becomes a falling body problem, this can be separated into x and y components of motion. The first step is to define your coordinate system,let the origin be the ground level below the lower end of the tube, let y be vertical and increasing up, let x be horizontal and increasing away from the end of the tube. The end of the tube is at y=h.

For the y or vertial motion you have:
[tex] \frac {d^2y} {dt^2} = -g [/tex]
With initial condions
[tex] \frac {dy} {dt} \mid_0 = v_y [/tex]
[tex] y(0) = h [/tex]

for the x (horizontal motion) you have:
[tex] \frac {d^2x} {dt^2} = 0 [/tex]
With initial conditions:
[tex]\frac {dy} {dt} \mid_0 = v_x [/tex]

The equation for the y motion is simply a statement that the object falls with constant acceleration. The equation for x motion is a statement of no acceleration or constant velocity.

The solution for the y motion is:
[tex] y(t) = -\frac 1 2 g t^2 + v_yt + h[/tex]
The solution for the x motion is :
[tex] x(t) = v_x t [/tex]

To get the initial velocity use conservation of energy,

[tex] mgd = \frac 1 2 m v^2 [/tex]
so
[tex] v = \sqrt {2gd}[/tex]
d is the total drop of the tube.
Using trig we get
[tex] v_y = v \sin( \theta)[/tex]
[tex] v_x = v \cos( \theta)[/tex]
This is much more then I generally provide for this type of problem, but it is not clear what level you are working at (high school or college) I hope you can complete the problem by putting all the pieces together.

Last edited:
As long as the object is on the slide (and assuming no friction) the acceleration along the slide is -g sin A. The speed along the slide is -g sin(A)t and the distance traveled -g sin(A)t<sup>2</sup>/2. You could now calculate the time, t, required to travel the length of the slide, l, and use that to find the speed at the end of the slide. A simpler way is to use conservation of energy. Initially, the object has height l sin(A) and so potential energy, relative to the bottom of the slide, of lmg sin(A). At the bottom of the slide, all that energy is converted into kinetic energy: (1/2)m v<sup>2</sup>= lmg sin(A) so v<sup>2</sup>= 2lg sin(A). and v= &radic;(2lg sin(A)). Call that v<sub>0</sub>. After leaving the slide, the object has acceleration downward of -g and no horizontal acceleration. It velocity vector at any time t will be
(v<sub>0</sub>cos(A), -gt+ v<sub>0</sub>sin(A)) and position vector (taking the bottom of the slide to be (0,h)) of (v<sub>0</sub>sin(A)t,-(g/2)t<sup>2</sup>+ v<sub>0</sub>sin(A)t+ h).

The object "hits the sand" when -(g/2)t<sup>2</sup>+ v<sub>0</sub>sin(A)t+ h= 0. Yes, that's a quadratic equation but it can be solved using the quadratic formula. Once that has been done substitute into v<sub>0</sub>sin(A)t to find d.

Thanks for the info, its for my a-level work... will go throught it ll when Iget time this evening and see if it helps... cheers.

1. How do SUVAT equations help in modeling angled slide flight?

SUVAT equations are a set of equations used to describe the motion of an object in a straight line. They take into account an object's initial velocity, final velocity, acceleration, displacement, and time. In the case of modeling angled slide flight, these equations can be used to calculate the object's trajectory and predict its motion at any given point.

2. What are the key factors to consider when using SUVAT equations for modeling angled slide flight?

When using SUVAT equations for modeling angled slide flight, it is important to consider the angle of the slide, the initial velocity of the object, and the force of gravity acting on the object. These factors will affect the acceleration and displacement of the object, which are crucial in predicting its flight path.

3. Can SUVAT equations be used for all types of angled slide flight?

While SUVAT equations can be used for most angled slide flight scenarios, they may not be accurate for very steep or curved slides. In these cases, other equations or models may need to be used.

4. How can SUVAT equations be applied in real-world scenarios?

SUVAT equations can be applied in a variety of real-world scenarios, such as in sports like skiing and skateboarding, or in engineering projects involving inclined planes or ramps. They can also be used to analyze the motion of objects in amusement park rides.

5. Are there any limitations to using SUVAT equations for modeling angled slide flight?

While SUVAT equations can provide a good estimate of an object's motion in angled slide flight, they do not take into account friction and air resistance, which can affect the object's actual trajectory. They also assume a constant acceleration, which may not be the case in some situations. Therefore, it is important to use these equations with caution and consider other factors that may impact the object's flight path.