Gibbs Free Energy of Van Der Waals Gas

In summary, the task is to calculate the Gibbs free energy for a van der Waals gas, taking into account a fixed amount of material and temperature. Using the van der Waals equation of state and the expression for Gibbs free energy in terms of temperature, pressure, and chemical potential, the problem can be solved by first recognizing that dT and dP are zero, leading to the simplification of dG = udN. From there, solving the van der Waals equation of state for N and integrating with respect to pressure will result in a third order polynomial, which can be solved using implicit differentiation or computer software. The resulting chemical potential curve may contain a "loop" or a "kink," corresponding to a phase transition between
HalfManHalfAmazing

Homework Statement

Calculate the Gibbs free energy for a van der Waals gas (up to an integration constant), assuming a fixed amount of material and temperature.

Homework Equations

[tex]P = \frac{NkT}{V-Nb} - \frac{aN^2}{V^2}[/tex]

dG = -SdT + VdP + udN (where u is the chemical potential)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unsure of where to begin. I've tried looking at supplementary materials but everyone says stuff like "finding other free energies leads to 3rd order polynomials". If anyone can start me off I'd be grateful! Thanks!:!)

Physics news on Phys.org
HalfManHalfAmazing said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the Gibbs free energy for a van der Waals gas (up to an integration constant), assuming a fixed amount of material and temperature.

Homework Equations

[tex]P = \frac{NkT}{V-Nb} - \frac{aN^2}{V^2}[/tex]

dG = -SdT + VdP + udN (where u is the chemical potential)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unsure of where to begin. I've tried looking at supplementary materials but everyone says stuff like "finding other free energies leads to 3rd order polynomials". If anyone can start me off I'd be grateful! Thanks!:!)

It's the temperature is fixed, what does it tell you about dT? If the amount of material is fixed, what does it tell you?

Okay so because dT and dP are zero, we only have dG = udN. or G = uN. Thus we solve the equation of state for N and we're set?

If that's the case, I get: (ab/V^2)N^3 - (a/V)N^2 + (Pb +kT)N = PV. Solving for N is going to be annoying, unless there's a trick here?

HalfManHalfAmazing said:
Okay so because dT and dP are zero, we only have dG = udN. or G = uN. Thus we solve the equation of state for N and we're set?

Why do you say that dP is zero??:confused:

The amount of material is fixed so the number of particles is not changing!

Oh wow. So now the only thing changing is pressure! dG = VdP. So now I solve the VdW equation of state for Volume. Plug that in and then integrate with respect to pressure? I'm going to give that a whirl! thanks!

Solving for V ALSO ends up being a third order polynomial which I have no idea on how to solve.

This is an old chestnut of a (physical chemistry) problem. The nut is that attempting to solve for v (molal volume) gives a cubic. Use implicit differentiation or calculate dp in terms of dv to do the integration to give the chemical potential. You should be using Mathcad or Mathematica to help with the algebra and graphing. Depending on T and the vdW constants, the chemical potential may or may not contain a "loop" and the point at which the "loop" passes over to a "kink" in the curve (varying temperature) corresponds to the intersection (if you like to think of it this way) of two curves associated with two different molal volumes, i.e. a "phase transition" between two fluids of different densities. You can find this discussed in various physical chemistry books and in a couple of J. Chem. Ed. articles, q.v.

The nice thing about this "Maxwell Construction" is that it gives more insight into the nature of the phase change (crudely) represented by the vdW equation.

1. What is Gibbs Free Energy?

Gibbs Free Energy is a thermodynamic property that measures the amount of energy available in a system for useful work at a constant temperature and pressure.

2. What is Van Der Waals Gas?

Van Der Waals Gas is a type of non-ideal gas that takes into account the intermolecular forces between particles, unlike ideal gases which assume no intermolecular interactions.

3. How is Gibbs Free Energy related to Van Der Waals Gas?

Gibbs Free Energy can be used to calculate the energy changes of a Van Der Waals Gas system, taking into account both the pressure-volume work and the energy due to intermolecular forces.

4. What is the significance of Gibbs Free Energy in Van Der Waals Gas?

Gibbs Free Energy is important in Van Der Waals Gas because it helps to determine if a reaction or process is spontaneous or non-spontaneous, and at what conditions it will occur.

5. How can Gibbs Free Energy be calculated for Van Der Waals Gas?

Gibbs Free Energy can be calculated using the formula ΔG = ΔH - TΔS, where ΔH is the change in enthalpy, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and ΔS is the change in entropy. These values can be determined experimentally or estimated using thermodynamic tables.