What's the body's goal in making us yawn?

• Thread starter JPC
  • Start date
In summary, yawning is a reflex that is triggered when we are tired and need to stretch our internal and jaw muscles. It may have evolved as a way to give an advantage to humans who could yawn over those who could not, but this is not fully understood and requires further research. Some people are able to control their yawning, but it is generally a natural and automatic response.
JPC
hey just wondering

why do we yawn when we are tired ? Whats the body's aim in making us yawn ?

Biology news on Phys.org
this is my own personal observation so there's no science or research behind it... but I've always noticed that yawning feels more like stretching than breathing for oxygen. We always stretch our muscles when we just wake up or have been passive for a long time (like our back and neck and legs), these are also the times we most likely yawn... could yawning simply be a way of stretching those internal muscles and jaw muscles?

I learned how to yawn at will or keep myself from yawning if I wish it. How common is that? I found it helpful for pressurizing my head when I lived on top of a mountain and had to drive up and down it everyday.

moe darklight said:
this is my own personal observation so there's no science or research behind it... but I've always noticed that yawning feels more like stretching than breathing for oxygen. We always stretch our muscles when we just wake up or have been passive for a long time (like our back and neck and legs), these are also the times we most likely yawn... could yawning simply be a way of stretching those internal muscles and jaw muscles?

hum that sounds coherent

and also does contradict Mk's message

sometimes u really feel like u want to stretch, and u can stop urself from doing it
you can also strecth when u want to

for yawning seems a bit the same, except its a bit harder to control it

-------------------------------------

IF only humans yawn THEN

it has to give an advante over an human who doesnt/cant yawn
because every human on Earth yaws

this means that during our evolution, those who didnt yawn must have had at least a small disvantage

ELSE

' same thing , but with the related animals, thus might be really complicated coz we would be going more back in evolutionEND IF

Last edited:

1. Why do we yawn?

Yawning is a reflex that helps to regulate the body's oxygen and carbon dioxide levels. It is also believed to be a way to cool down the brain and increase alertness.

2. Is yawning contagious?

Yes, yawning is considered to be a socially contagious behavior. Research shows that seeing, hearing, or even thinking about yawning can trigger a yawn in others.

3. Does yawning serve any purpose?

While the exact purpose of yawning is still not fully understood, it is believed to have various benefits such as increasing alertness, bringing in more oxygen, and releasing tension in the jaw and facial muscles.

4. What causes us to yawn?

The exact trigger for yawning is still unknown, but it is believed to be linked to factors such as fatigue, boredom, and changes in brain temperature or oxygen levels.

5. Are there any health benefits to yawning?

Yawning may have some health benefits such as improving circulation and increasing heart rate. It may also help to release stress and tension in the body.