Calculate Velocity Using Bernoulli's Equation

• Thread starter grscott_2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bernoullis
In summary, To calculate velocity using Bernoulli's equation, the flow rate and the diameter of the pipe must be known. The formula for calculating velocity is 4 times the flow rate divided by pi times the square of the pipe diameter. In this specific example, the velocity would be approximately 70.7 m per second.
grscott_2000
When using Bernoullis equation, part of it requires velocity to be input as part of it.

I am given flow rate of 5.00 m^3 per second. I am also told the diameter of a pipe that is 0.6 m. How do I calculate velocity?

I am assuming that velocity isn't simply 5.00 m/s

I know that flow rate (Q) = Area x velocity, therefore

velocity = Q / Area

I also know that Area is pi r^2,

thus I think that velocity = 5.00 / (pi * 0.15^2) = 70.7 m per second

Is this correct?

Many thanks for your time

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I now know the formula for solving velocity from flow rate and pipe diameter.

If anyone is interested its

4 * flow rate / (pi * (pipe diameter)^2)

and help!

Dear scientist,

Yes, your calculation is correct. According to Bernoulli's equation, the velocity can be calculated by dividing the flow rate by the cross-sectional area of the pipe. In this case, the cross-sectional area can be calculated using the diameter of the pipe. By plugging in the values, you have correctly determined the velocity to be 70.7 m/s. It is important to note that this velocity represents the average velocity of the fluid in the pipe. If you want to calculate the velocity at a specific point in the pipe, you will need to consider the fluid's pressure and potential energy at that point as well. I hope this helps. Keep up the good work!

1. How is Bernoulli's equation used to calculate velocity?

Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental principle in fluid mechanics that relates the pressure, velocity, and height of a fluid in motion. In order to calculate velocity using Bernoulli's equation, the equation must be rearranged to solve for velocity.

2. What are the variables involved in Bernoulli's equation?

The variables involved in Bernoulli's equation are pressure, density, height, and velocity. These variables are related through the equation P + (1/2)ρv^2 + ρgh = constant, where P is pressure, ρ is density, v is velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height.

3. Can Bernoulli's equation be applied to all types of fluids?

Yes, Bernoulli's equation can be applied to all types of fluids, including liquids and gases. However, it is important to note that in order for the equation to be accurate, the fluid must be incompressible and the flow must be steady.

4. How does Bernoulli's equation relate to the principle of conservation of energy?

Bernoulli's equation is a manifestation of the principle of conservation of energy. It states that the total energy of a fluid in motion is constant, meaning that as the fluid moves, the sum of its kinetic energy, potential energy, and internal energy will remain the same.

5. What are some real-world applications of Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation has many practical applications in engineering and science. Some examples include the design of airplane wings, the operation of carburetors in cars, and the measurement of blood flow in the human body. It is also used in the study of fluid dynamics and hydraulics.