Save Baby Birds: Help in Overhead Lamp Socket

• Thread starter Vagrant
  • Start date
In summary: When three of her young fall from the nest in the last week, the bird's mother leaves them be, but recommends putting something to catch the birds when they eventually die.
Vagrant
A bird has built her nest in the socket of an overhead lamp in the driveway. In the last one week three of her young ones have fallen down. They are very young, I guess a few weeks old and the last one actually survived the fall. Is there anything we can do to save the rest of them without scaring them to death?

Physics news on Phys.org
Birds build nests on top of very tall trees, if they fall from a tree they will die just the same. If you touch the nest there is a very good chance the mother will abandon them. Just leave them be.

Yeah but it's difficult to walk out of your door and see a dead bird lying in near the doormat.

build something to catch the birds?

even if you save them, seems like the momma bird will abandon little francis and not accept him back in after he takes the big dive regardless of wether he survives or not. kinda like going to college

http://www.chicagowilderness.org/wildchi/livingwild/wildinfant/bird/index.cfm" may help.

Last edited by a moderator:
If three babies have fallen out of the nest, and there are still more in there, she must've had a very large clutch of eggs. I've never seen more than 3 or 4 nestlings at a time before, and usually only 1 or 2 make it as fledglings. The siblings are probably pushing out the weaker ones because the nest is overcrowded. It's also possible that the other ones didn't die from the fall, but had already died or grown weak in the nest and were pushed out because of it.

If you're going to take the suggestion in that link out of whack provided and try putting it back in the nest, wear a helmet! :biggrin: Nothing worse than being dive-bombed by the bird parents who don't understand you're just trying to help.

I usually opt for leaving nesting birds to their own devices. If there are too many mouths to feed, or one is getting weaker, and one or several get ejected from the nest, I'm not sure it's a good thing to interfere unless it's an endangered species (even then it can be ambiguous whether you're helping or making matters worse to try to save the weakest nestlings).

And when this batch of babies is done, remove the nest, put some poultry wire{chicken wire} around the light to discourage them from nesting there again.

1. What should I do if I find a baby bird in an overhead lamp socket?

If you find a baby bird in an overhead lamp socket, the first thing you should do is turn off the power to the socket. This will prevent any harm to the bird and also ensure your safety while handling the situation.

2. How can I safely remove the baby bird from the lamp socket?

The best way to remove the baby bird from the lamp socket is by using a towel or cloth to gently pick it up. Be sure to handle the bird with care and avoid applying pressure to its delicate body. If the bird is stuck, it is best to contact a professional for assistance.

3. What should I do with the baby bird after I remove it from the lamp socket?

After you have safely removed the baby bird from the lamp socket, you should place it in a warm and secure location. Avoid handling the bird too much and provide it with water and food if possible. If the bird appears injured, it is best to contact a wildlife rehabilitator for further care.

4. How can I prevent baby birds from getting into my overhead lamp sockets?

To prevent baby birds from getting into your overhead lamp sockets, you can install covers or guards over the sockets. These can be purchased at most hardware stores and will prevent birds from entering the socket while still allowing you to use the light.

5. Is it safe to turn the power back on after removing the baby bird?

Yes, it is safe to turn the power back on after removing the baby bird from the lamp socket. However, it is important to make sure the bird has been safely removed and the socket is no longer a hazard before doing so. If you are unsure, it is best to consult a professional.