How Does Voltage Affect Electron Speed in a Magnetic Field?

In summary, an electron is accelerated through 1800V from rest and then enters a uniform 2.90T magnetic field. The maximum and minimum values of the magnetic force this charge can experience will vary with the angle measure and can be calculated using the formula Fm=QVBsin(theta). The potential difference (1800V) can be used to find the speed of the electron, which is necessary for the calculation. The value for the magnetic field (B) can be found using the unit of magnetic flux density, Tesla (T).
pattiecake
An electron is accelerated through 1800V from rest and then enters a uniform 2.90T magnetic field. What are the maxium and minium values of the magnetic force this charge can experience?

Ok someone help me out here...not sure of the equation. How do the formulas for a magnetic force differ between a line of current and a moving charge?

In this case I believe the formula is Fm=QVBsin(theta). The maxium & minium force will vary with the angle measure, i.e. sin(90)=max. But how does potential difference (1800V) come into play here? Where does the value of the magnetic field (B) come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
Quick response here. 1800V is just to accelerate the electron to a certain speed before it enters the magnetic field. You need to compute that speed. A line of current? You mean a wire with current flowing through it? No this is not what the problem is about. The magnetic field about the wire is not uniform when you go peripendicular to the wire anyway. Not sure I know what F m v are. Force, mass, speed? Q = electron charge and theta = angle measured from electron's velocity to the direction of the field?

Yah basically I got all my equations confused...not sure which equation for a magnetic field applies to an electron here (and if there's a different equation that applies to, for example, a long straight wire with current running through...) Although I realize the problem only deals with the magnetic field surrounding this particle.

Fm=Fb=Force of magnetic field. B=magnetic field. v=velocity of the electron. Q = electron charge. And theta = angle measured from electron's velocity to the direction of the field.

Ok, now where does can I find the value for B?

2.90T I believe T stands for Tesla, the unit of magnetic flux density, webers per square meter. Also called magnetic field, B.

finding the electron speed

pattiecake said:
In this case I believe the formula is Fm=QVBsin(theta). The maxium & minium force will vary with the angle measure, i.e. sin(90)=max. But how does potential difference (1800V) come into play here?
Use the potential difference to find the speed of the electron as it enters the magnetic field. The electron gains energy as it falls through the potential: KE = qV (where V is potential difference).

1. What is the process of accelerating electrons?

The process of accelerating electrons involves using an electric field to increase the speed and energy of electrons. This can be done through various methods such as using a particle accelerator or a cathode ray tube.

2. How do accelerated electrons produce light?

When accelerated electrons collide with a target material, they transfer their energy to the atoms of the material. This causes the atoms to emit photons, which are particles of light. The energy of the photons depends on the energy of the accelerated electrons.

3. What are the applications of accelerated electrons?

Accelerated electrons have many applications in scientific research, medicine, and technology. They are used in particle accelerators for studying the fundamental structure of matter, in X-ray machines for medical imaging, and in electron microscopes for high-resolution imaging.

4. How are electrons accelerated in a cathode ray tube?

In a cathode ray tube, electrons are accelerated by an electric field created by a cathode and an anode. The cathode emits electrons, which are then focused into a beam by an electric field. The anode then accelerates the electrons to a high speed before they hit a fluorescent screen, producing an image.

5. What is the difference between accelerating electrons and decelerating electrons?

Accelerating electrons refers to the process of increasing the speed and energy of electrons, while decelerating electrons involves decreasing their speed and energy. This can be done in a controlled manner using electric fields, allowing scientists to manipulate the behavior of electrons for various purposes.