Engineering branch which has lots of physics and less mathematics

In summary: Chemical engineering is a possible major, but it may be difficult to get into without good math skills. Without good math skills, you may be limited in your opportunities within the field.
chound
Which engineering branch which has lots of physics (or chem) and less mathematics in its course of study?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's impossible.
More physics implies more mathematics.

Physics uses mathematics constantly. So, if there is a field with lots of physics, you are also going to get lots of mathematics in that field. There is no way around it.

Granted there is a big difference between physics and mathematics, but still, to do physics, you need mathematics.

lalbatros said:
That's impossible.

What about that major called "Philosophy of Physics?" Is that the same thing as just "Physics?"

What about that major called "Philosophy of Physics?" Is that the same thing as just "Physics?"

I have no idea about this, but it I have difficulties to understand how physics can been analysed "philosophycally" without a deep understanding of it. For me, philosophy is an after-hours game, sorry to be so harsh.

Anyway, this major is totally unrelated to engineering.

Philosophy?...do you mean PHD?

How can you study physics with taking math in considersation?
The more you get deeply in physics, the more you get deeply in mathematics

chound said:
Which engineering branch which has lots of physics (or chem) and less mathematics in its course of study?

Maybe EE with a specialty in semiconductor physics & IC design.

berkeman said:
Maybe EE with a specialty in semiconductor physics & IC design.

More physics implies more math...

I'm going to go with the obvious answer and say chemical engineering. Needless to say, it will have lots of chem and maybe some interesting physics (especially if you go into nano), but it shouldn't be too heavy on math (comparatively).

t!m said:
I'm going to go with the obvious answer and say chemical engineering. Needless to say, it will have lots of chem and maybe some interesting physics (especially if you go into nano), but it shouldn't be too heavy on math (comparatively).

Are you sure about that? My housemate does Chem eng, and some of the maths he's come to me with has been horrible. I suppose it's not necessarily that difficult, but it's very fiddly (as in it's more numerical, than algebraic). I guess the point is that most of these types of degree will have maths in them-- there's no avoiding it, as it's the language in which sciences are delivered!

I second chemical engineering, as t!m pointed out.

A buddy of mine graduated with a chemical engineering degree, it took it 3 tries to pass diffEQ and 2 tries to pass multivarible calc. I'm not saying he couldn't have made it through another engineering program, but he did make it through chem eng with fairly weak math skills.

dimensionless said:

No. "Physics" would be the study of the science itself, thus preparing you to become a scientist.
If your school has a major called "Philosophy of Physics," then it sounds like a philosophy major, not a science major. It doesn't sound like this major will train people to become research scientists or engineers.

It does not sound like you will be able to become a scientist by majoring in this. You probably won't learn enough physics. You probably focus on similar stuff as people who major in History and Philosophy of Science, though I wouldn't know myself. These are not majors that will make you a scientist. They may make you a good philosopher or historian, but if you want to be a research scientist, or engineer, you are going to want to stay away from these majors, since they will not probably not prepare you for these paths.

If you are not looking to become a scientist then don't worry about it, but I would check this major out first if you eventually want to be a scientist and make sure this major will be adequate. I suspect it isn't.

There's no avoiding it, if you want to be a physicist or engineer, you are going to have to do math, and lots of it!

Last edited:
lalbatros said:
That's impossible.
That's pretty much the case. Engineering is essentially applied physics, and mathematics is the language of physics. Both engineering and physics (and other sciences for that matter) are Quantititive!

Even with berkeman's suggestion, I don't see a EE getting out of a BS program without a fair level of mathematics.

All engineering and science programs with which I am familiar have the same basic requirements for mathematics - usually differential and integral calculus up through differential equations. Circuit analysis usually requires some knowledge of this level of math, and I can't imagine a BS EE without some exposure to Laplace transforms.

Chem Eng is perhaps possible, but what are the opportunities without good math skills, which essentially translate into problem solving.

leright said:
More physics implies more math...
I guess it really depends on what you mean by "math." As someone in that area, it's been my experience that while there's a lot of calculation (e.g., of wavefunctions), it's not really necessary to get into QM formalism all that much if you don't want to.

Lesser of trigonometry and calculus

Branch which has less trig and calculus? I'm afraid of those two, coz they(in my school, in India) give u an equation and for no apparent reason u multiply by something, divide by something, separate the term into two, and viola u get the answer. Its too abstract for me.

But I manage, coz there are only a few types so solving many of them will help. But in reall life situations that won't work.

Whereas you can see all the physics(or any science) in ur life, not at all abstract.

1. What is the main focus of an engineering branch with lots of physics and less mathematics?

The main focus of this engineering branch is to apply principles of physics to design and develop practical solutions for real-world problems.

2. What are some examples of real-world problems that this engineering branch tackles?

Some examples of real-world problems that this engineering branch tackles include designing and improving transportation systems, developing renewable energy sources, and creating advanced materials for various industries.

3. How does this engineering branch use physics in its problem-solving process?

This engineering branch uses physics principles to analyze and understand the behavior of natural phenomena and physical systems. This understanding is then applied to develop innovative solutions to problems in various industries.

4. What are the main differences between this engineering branch and other branches with more emphasis on mathematics?

The main difference is in the approach to problem-solving. This engineering branch relies more on understanding the underlying physics principles, while other branches may use mathematical models and equations to solve problems.

5. What skills are important for a career in this engineering branch?

Strong problem-solving skills, a solid understanding of physics principles, and the ability to apply them to real-world problems are essential for a career in this engineering branch. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important, as projects often involve collaboration with other engineers and professionals.